Spreading the love of denim

jeans4joy

Hi, I'm a 2nd year product design student, studying in London. My current project is asking me to examine an existing every day use product, which I have chosen to be denim jeans, and to repackage the product to give more information about them. After having studied about denim, I have realised how little the consumers know about the hardships and methods of the production of denim jeans. Most consumers pick up a pair of denim jeans without even examining the quality of them. I'm trying to redesign a prototype pair which would be able to give more information to the wearer.

Now, here is where you would be of great help. The superdenim section of supertalk has been a great resource my project so far as it brings together all the knowledge of denim experts across the world. I'd be grateful if you could write me one sentence of facts / figures which give interesting/unknown information about denim/jeans which would attract the public to become more curious about denim. It could be focussed towards production/history... or something which interests you in particular... It must be quite hard to put your passion into one sentence but I guess that's the challenge.

These sentences will be included, in my new product, and become a part of my installation. It would be interesting to know to, from which part of the world it is coming from but if you don't want to include which country you're from, that's fine too. All of you are welcome to take part in my project and I would be really grateful. Attached is an image of one my studies for the project.

Thank you for your help

visit my school website at www.aaschool.ac.uk

denim: the fabric of our lives.

hehehe

and the old cone denim ads have advert in saying - "improves your 'overall' appearance."

educating consumers is interesting, my gf said I shouldnt bother with denim because my friends dont notice and no one else does cause they dont even understand jeans etc etc.... which is true, but im sure that a while ago people didnt understand the difference between cashmere and wool, now you can get cashmere in tescos cause there is a demand because the consumer, somewhere along the line, learnt the difference between wool and merino and cashmere etc etc. So the more you know the more you appreciate the details.

To be honest i dont think premium denim will catch on, most people dont care enough about clothes let alone jeans to enter into the deminishing (priceXquality) returns area of denim.

Just my thoughts.

Guest jeffvyain

if you go into that selfedge thread, there's a link to an interview with the owner in which he has a good quote about the impact you leave on your jeans...how it's like a diary of your life. many people have said similar things, and that would be all i could tell you as well, but they said it well, so i'm not going to try and top them.