Hong Kong Cheap/Midrange Hotel

xcoldricex

Surprisingly this hasn't been covered.... so I'm heading to Hong Kong with the girlfriend so my knowledge of super cheap places to stay doesn't apply to this trip. Anyone have recommendations for a cheapish-midrange, nice hotel to stay? I'm familiar with HK's transportation system so I just need to be close to a subway stop (preferably near or around any of the busier places). If I get nothing here, i'll just look on chinese websites and gamble for a decent place :)

You can try Ann Black Guest House YWCA, but its ab out 10 minutes walk from Yau Ma Tei MTR. There are a few hotels a bit closer but I think they are a bit costly. One of them is something Bianchi.

The name of the website that has a list of hotels offering cheap rates fail me at the moment.

Really since I foresee most short time travellers would not be spending much time in the hotel rooms, as long as its a cheap and decent place, it would do.

I don't know what exact price range you're looking at but I stayed at the Nathan Hotel when I was in HK 2 months ago for about ~$900HKD. It was surprisingly nice (to me anyway) for that price and its two blocks from Jordan MTR. I think it was recently renovated b/c not all the pictures I've seen of it online are up to date. The Shamrock Hotel (also on Nathan Rd) is a older and a cheaper but Jordan MTR is right around the corner. Both are close to Temple St. and about 10 minute walk from Mong Kok (Sneaker St, Ladies St., etc.) Caritas Bianchi and Booth Lodge are cheaper options in Yau Ma Tei. Didn't stay on the island so I don't know much about accomadations there but the Cosmopolitan Hotel seemed like a decent mid-range option.

ah i guess i should say i'm looking for ~$400hkd and under. looking for a best value type deal. cheap but not shabby ;) thanks for the suggestion though, maybe for next time!

I think Caritas Bianchi and Booth Lodge are both in that range. But I guess there should be cheap options down in TST and I never had a chance to book anything via internet so I'm sure there's deals out there. I forgot that I payed a super inflated price b/c I was in HK during National Day/Golden Week and I got the walk in rate b/c I was trying to escape the $200hkd shithole guesthouse in Yau Ma Tei I was staying in. Not a good sign when you walk in and some dude is sitting in his underwear in his room with the door wide open.

So I live on Macdonnell Road, which is Mid-Levels and they have a YWCA right above a large supermarket (where I do all my home shopping).

The area is walkable to Lan Kwai Fong (15-20 min walk), but when the cab ride only costs $15 HKD why would you want to walk. There's also a bus that takes you to Landmark in Central, that goes onto the Star Ferry Terminal (which has a boat to TST) and ends in Admiralty (Pacific Place).

My friends who visisted me before have stayed there, and I've seen the rooms personally. They definitely are basic, but CLEAN. I mean, the hotel isn't in Causeway Bay or walkable to any shopping districts, but thats probably why you can get such a nice room.

The way I move in and out of Macdonnell Road is this:

Way out-

Wake up, take the $15 Taxi to Central (assuming you wake up in a rush, and dont want ot wait for a bus), take the MTR to go anywhere.

Coming home-

Take the MTR or find your way to Admiralty Station, take a cheap bus ride home.

If you decide to choose this place, pm me and I'll give you more details. In my opinion, its definitely worth it considering that its well serviced. (well WAS well serviced, when I last checked 3 years ago).

Edit** Someone mentioned Cosmo hotel. I don't know how good it is to live there, but its a bit random, at the cross roads of two major roads in HK, and right next to the Jockey Club, 2 cemetries and 1 skate park. Yes random. It is however 15 minutes walk from Timesquare in Causeway Bay and equidistant to Wanchai.

And feel free to pm me your gambled chinese links. I'll translate for you/ give you further opinions if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want something on the more expensive end (around $75 USD when booked off travel websites), you could try the Cosmo. The rooms are really nice (a bit small, but very nice), the location is great (5 minute walk from MTR/Times square), and the service is very good.

Also, the Cosmo and Cosmopolitan are 2 different hotels with the same owner. The Cosmopolitan is classier and more expensive, the Cosmo is trendier and less expensive.

I'm a New Territories boy, but when I stay a bit more central I tend to go for the Harbour Plaza Hong Kong, cus it's so reasonable on expedia.co.uk (£70 per night). 21st floor swimming pool with view over to Hong Kong island, awesome buffet, clean and decent rooms. 5 minutes walk from the Star Ferry, other than that transport is a bit difficult so you'll find yourself taking the taxi to Kowloon. Also just down the road is Pacific Coffee which has free internet access. Langham Place is also pretty reasonable on expedia at £90 per night but I can't say I've stayed there, I'll probably check it out next time.

haha opted to go really cheap and went with a hostel in the sincere house (much like chungking/mirador mansion - but maybe marginally nicer). there is a huge gap between the hostels and hotel pricing. i couldn't find anything decent in the $50-80 range. hostels run ~$30-$40 for a double room and the next step up is like a $100 room in a hotel. no mid-range :(

www.wotif.com is a pretty good place to start like lek said.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.asiarooms.com/reviewhotel.php?hotelID=3476

Stanford Hillview. stayed here last time i wasin HK in 05 its on a smaller sidestreet right off of kimberly. about 10 min walk to the train station. i liked it. room was a decent size, wasnt too noisy outside and the staff was helpful..

word. decent place.

• 2 weeks later...

just to comment...

i stayed at the ah shan hostel in the sincere house in mongkok. clean, no frills, small hostel - friendly people. very easy to access from the airport via the airport bus and a minute walk from the mongkok mtr. a few minutes from everything else in mongkok - great location, great price. (can't compare it to the hostels in the chungking mansion as i still haven't stayed there yet.. haha.)

i also stayed a night in the mingle techotel (first tech-hotel apparently) which is across the street from the Stanford Hillview near the Knutsford terrace in TST. rooms are about $100 - you can open your room with your fingerprint and it'll set all the light, temperature settings to your preferences that you set when you check in. flat screen tv's with surround sound (not great but much better than watching a standard tv in a hotel...) and there's a library of movies and music that you can watch for free... you can plug in anything with a headphone jack into the speakers so you can bump your own music too. minimalist styling, smallish but comfortable rooms, nutrogena bath products, free internet and wifi.... i liked it- good if you like music/movies but not very necessary if you plan on staying out late and partying while you're in hk.

booked both through www.wotif.com and had no problems.

• 2 years later...

i just got quotes from anne black ( HKD 660 inclusive tax) and cosmo (HKD 765 + 10% tax) for winter (christams and new years)

do you guys have any suggestions for cheaper stuff? ie hostel or apartment rental near a train station/ kowloon or hk island? i am not that keen on spending a lot on hotel when i can use the money to buy stuff instead.