Bicyclettes

canice

agreed. pads look stupid 90% of the time.

Also, anyone know anything about CCP (not the high fashion ccp)? I've only recently run into them here, and they seem to be pretty damn awesome for what they are. it's a line that's more or less designed for cycling, but all could be easily worn normally too. Some stuff seems pretty boring but there's a few jackets I might have to pick up with really unusual collars/etc.

Price point is pretty decent too.

20071224_344565.jpg

not at all a fan of how the guy is wearing it/the collar is sitting, but it has potential. Solid construction, seems warm, and if you zip the collar up it looks pretty damn cool cause the hood kinda folds over/forward to become a, for lack of a better word tall neck sorta ninja-y looking thing.

Also, on second though, most of this line is pretty boring, but it's nice to see something focused on cycling that isn't spandex.

OK, so I ordered a Mercier Kilo TT around Christmas time and I just got an email letting me know they're sold out of black in my size. I could switch to green, or another bike. The thing is, since I ordered the bike I've been looking around so much and found so many parts I would like to upgrade that it seems like a waste to buy a complete. So I'm thinking about getting my money back and building up a bike how I want it the first time. Any frame recommendations, something fairly cheap would be nice. I haven't heard the best things about pake...maybe an IRO? But from what I hear IRO isn't much of an upgrade from the Kilo TT, and its quite a bit more expensive. Right now I'm leaning toward dishing out the extra cash for a Bare Knuckle. This would be my first build, so any tips/input/links/etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mikey

It depends on how soon you need the bike. The Kilo, stock, sucks. I won't go into why it does, but I feel it is a waste of money to buy the complete. You could wait til February when there will be the Kilo framesets for sale for $175 so that would be a good deal.

The Bare Knuckle is pricey but good. It's your money, do whatever you want with it, but know that you're spending a lot of money for a track bike that you may not even enjoy riding.

It depends on how soon you need the bike. The Kilo, stock, sucks. I won't go into why it does, but I feel it is a waste of money to buy the complete. You could wait til February when there will be the Kilo framesets for sale for $175 so that would be a good deal.

The Bare Knuckle is pricey but good. It's your money, do whatever you want with it, but know that you're spending a lot of money for a track bike that you may not even enjoy riding.

Yea, buying a complete TT almost seems like a waste because so many parts are poor quality and will be replaced quickly. I would probably rather build up a bike with the parts I want. A Kilo frame would be nice, but Feb is pretty far away. I need to get it while I'm still at home so I can use all the tools. So, any other frame recommendations that are cheaper than the Bare Knuckle?

Where are the Kilo frames going to be available? Bikesdirect?

53ish. Yea I've bounced between all of the options you guys are mentioning, they all have thier advantages and disadvantages...the Bare Knuckle just seems to have it all. Too bad its $600 :(

Thanks for all the input.

i'd agree with knucks - if this is your first bike, i wouldn't spend 600 on the frameset alone and then build it up... there are plenty of options in between the kilo and that, like the surly, khs, bianchi, iro, etc...

although, i got one of those over the summer and i'm already itchin to buy a frame and build... so yeah...

i'd agree with knucks - if this is your first bike, i wouldn't spend 600 on the frameset alone and then build it up... there are plenty of options in between the kilo and that, like the surly, khs, bianchi, iro, etc...

although, i got one of those over the summer and i'm already itchin to buy a frame and build... so yeah...

I agree as well, which is why I ordered the Kilo in the first place. But the more I think about it, I'm going to drop so much on upgrades I might as well get what I really want now and not settle. The BK does seem like overkill I'll admit...but it just keeps luring me in haha.

so-so looks interesting and i've been looking for a hoodie with a long neck.. where to cop?

Other than down the street from me, I have no idea.

google 'blue lug' and shoot them an email, one of hte guys I have sort of gotten to know who works there mentioned that the co-owner speaks english fluently (but i've never met him), so you might be able to get them to ship to you. That hoodie is about... 150$ or so though, but in my opinion seems like it'd be worth it.

And, mwills, depending on how sure you are about the fixed gear thing, I don't think it's a bad idea to go for what you want even on your first build. My first build was/is pretty much all top of the line shit, and I don't regret it. Though circumstances kind of dictated that I go big.

Just putting this out there...

Might sell the Gitane...

58cm squared.

Italian threading bottom bracket. Throwing in a Campagnolo 120 spindle.

Shimano 105 Road Cranks with Salsa 48t Chainring.

Silver MKS Sylvan Pedals w/MKS toe clips with black nylon straps.

KMC Silver BMX Chain.

Nitto Jaguar 100mm stem w/ Nitto RB 21 38cm Bullhorns.

32 hole 110mm Chrome Phil Wood Hubs laced to Silver DeepVs. w/ Soma Everlast tire (rear, one skid patch is starting.) Continental Ultrasport Tire in the front. 18t cog.

Random Kalin 25mm seat post.

Bianchi Pista Leapord print Saddle. Or never ridden, mounted once Brooks B17 Saddle in Black.

Looking between $850-900 for the whole thing.

Whisper if interested.

Again, just seeing how things go.

Thanks.

Bought some of these today

http://pedalmafiablog.livedoor.biz/archives/50373282.html

They're fucking rad. Heat shrink grips. They are about as thick as regular cork bar tape, but these are a solid long piece that you cut to length and then apply heat with a burner/iron/torch/whatever to get it to a snug smooth fit.

Despite that it's a carnival product, they're cheap too, about 10$ - 15$ depending on length (divided into risers, drops and bullhorn lengths)