Bicyclettes

canice

just to reply to the past few pages:

• who cares if your bike has an NJS stamp. you don't requre it to be able to race and ride. people beast on the frames because of the paint jobs and classic builds, but the tubing doesn't take well to heavy street riding, especially if you're a bigger dude. its always funny to see someone rolling their NJS bike with an ass-pounding 85º seat tube around in the streets. vivalo lost their cert due to a part breaking, but one out of however many frames they've ever made doesnt' mean their quality control as a whole went to garbage.

• if you are installing the shit correctly on your bike, you don't need loctite. learn how to work on your bike properly and don't use loctite.

• durability of MKS cages? great. i've had one rust out at the tip and eventually break and that took 3 years. what are you talking about your shit scraping? don't ride your pedals upside down. if you're riding tricks all the time, get plastic ones that'll last way longer.

I like the MKS track pedals. They're pretty solid and are extremely easy to slip into.

I have the sylvan track pedals, dunno if they're the same. They work great too.

I actually wanted the GR-9's but I couldn't find them in any local stores. My cousin suggested these if I mostly ride in sneakers.

uhhh i think i just fucked up my front wheel..

i was riding and i got my foot stuck in the spokes and i basiccaly "braked" with my foot and afterwards riding i noticed the wheel was grinding into one of the brakes at one spot.

do i need a new wheel or whats going on :(

Guest youkinorn

I ordered new stem and bars. Cheapass stem. It appears that it won't attach perfectly perpendicular to the bars...likely because it is cheapass. Just one of the 24 dollar ones from IRO.

At least I'm assuming it's that and not the bars....but I guess it could be the bars.

Think I should just deal with them being a little off-angle or try to send it back? I'd never understood the point of buying an expensive stem (except for weight issues), but maybe this is why.

i think the wheel may have to be trued back to normal (if possible) but i think i'll just go for a new wheelset. :(

If it's a few mm, that can be trued easily. If it's an inch and a half, you'll need a new rim, which can be laced in with the same spokes and hub.

Though I've trued some pretty fucked up wheels (bike polo what what.)

youkinorn: what do you mean.... pics? A stem's a stem, though nicer stems definitely ride better, and have far better tolerances with relation to length, and a far lesser risk of stripping out the threads.

I´ve got myself a Panasonic NJS fixie which is my everyday ride. I need a bad weather commute as well and I´ve been looking at the Cannondale Capo or the Langster etc.

I would appreciate better recomendations and preferably somthing from a small make as my heart pounds for smaller operations. Do differentiate the bike from my Panasonic I would like a carbon or Alu frame and with a reversinble back hub.

Also as all OTP bikes are much more expensive here than in US or Asia (even considering hefty shipping) anyone who helps me with a good deal from US or Asia will be payed for it! I don´t mind used or last years model.

To conclude my rambling: Please suggest a cool Alu/carbon OTP SS/Fixed at around USD1K.

Thanks!

/TKL

I ordered new stem and bars. Cheapass stem. It appears that it won't attach perfectly perpendicular to the bars...likely because it is cheapass. Just one of the 24 dollar ones from IRO.

At least I'm assuming it's that and not the bars....but I guess it could be the bars.

Think I should just deal with them being a little off-angle or try to send it back? I'd never understood the point of buying an expensive stem (except for weight issues), but maybe this is why.

just file down the side that's off maybe? i did it with a bmx stem once, worked perfect

Guest youkinorn
just file down the side that's off maybe? i did it with a bmx stem once, worked perfect

That's a possibility. I can see where the issue is, I think. Like on the left side the bars don't touch the "back" of the stem flushly and there's a place on the "top" where the machining looks a little off.

I guess I'd have to buy a metal file. lol

where'd you get the shims?

and measure the fork 4'z me real quick.

when i bought it it came with the shim

the stem diameter is indeed 1"

with shim will make it 1 1/8"

i keep tighten the screws as much i as can when it cant turn anymore, it sill pops out.

unless it could go more and the tools that i have doesn't give enough strength to push it anymore

Anyone have tips on folding the last bit of tire into the rim?

Never had problems with Schwalbe tires, but these Vittoria Zaffiro's are killing my fingers...

Killing your fingers? Do you not have tire levers? Get some nice skinny ones, not those thick nylon ones, which are a pain with road tires.