Bicyclettes

canice

You sound like an idiot. Why not ride the bike and see if you even like fixed gear? I'm enjoying mine but at times I still think it is a pain in the ass. I'm contemplating adding a rear brake + going SS or throwing a coaster brake on the back.

It's an aluminum chain. I can bend aluminum. A pair of pliers easily chops it.

dude just throw on a rear brake and keep the fixed cog. I ride fixed with both brakes, but I also ride lots of hills so an old shimano 105 brake just wont cut it, haha.

dude just throw on a rear brake and keep the fixed cog. I ride fixed with both brakes, but I also ride lots of hills so an old shimano 105 brake just wont cut it, haha.

uh, what will throwing a rear brake on help? The problem with fixed gears is you can't coast. Not that you can't stop your back wheel....

120$ ? Stop penny pinching, this shit is NJS son! These basically go for 150$ a piece now. It's a TEE19 team collaboration. The blue TEE19's that came out before this go up to 200$ a piece now. 200$ for those 2 is a deal.

NJS!? OMG!. I know what they are.. I don't care if they are NJS... and there's a reason I said, "..But I only have.."

those aluminum nitto bars cost about $100 retail alone aside from the collaboratin/anodizing. the stem is just a road stem, but a fucking nice pantographed one at that.

NJS doesn't really matter, but its usually a sign on top quality regardless of the certification. those nitto alloy bars are some of the stiffest out there aside from the easton carbon ones that you'll shell out $300 for.

i just got a case of tubes with my roommate... $2 a piece

I ma moving across the country for school and was wanting to take my bike with me. Should I be fine getting a bike box disasemble what I need and pack it in there. Will I just be abole to put it as a checked piece of luggage on the plane? Anyone know size limits for a luggage on a plane? Thanks

I ma moving across the country for school and was wanting to take my bike with me. Should I be fine getting a bike box disasemble what I need and pack it in there. Will I just be abole to put it as a checked piece of luggage on the plane? Anyone know size limits for a luggage on a plane? Thanks

The limit is 50 lbs and then for size I don't think it matters.

If u use bullhorn u put more body weight on the front end so u can lockup the rear wheel easier hence quicker stopping.

who the hell told you that

longer skids maybe but the more weight up front the longer its going to take you to stop

bikes are typically about $60-80 extra to take on the plane regardless of weight. weight limits on bags are to 60lbs. if you can ship it, fedex ground is about $35-45 and insured.

longer skids maybe but the more weight up front the longer its going to take you to stop

depend what gear ratio u using..try skid with 51 x 16 ...vertically impossible to stop if u dont put ur weight to the front wheel. if u run 42 x 16 then all u need to do is stop pedal.

SKID to stop is slower...ABS skidding is alot quicker, in order to do abs u need to put the weight to the front wheel, i find that it works better.

bullhorns do help you put more weight further over your front end. its way easier to skid and hold your balance out much further as opposed to drops or risers.

uh, what will throwing a rear brake on help? The problem with fixed gears is you can't coast. Not that you can't stop your back wheel....

Helping you slow down a hell of alot faster. If you lived in a busy area with numerous steep hills and close calls on a regular basis then you would want to have the ability to stop at the drop of a hat too.

correct.

If u use bullhorn u put more body weight on the front end so u can lockup the rear wheel easier hence quicker stopping.

all of your weight is supposed to be on your saddle. Hence the reason saddles should be parrallel to the ground. I see what you're saying about the higher gear ratio, but if you have a ratio like that, you better as hell be able to stop without skidding for over 20 feet. You should be able to do it above your seat IMO.

Helping you slow down a hell of alot faster. If you lived in a busy area with numerous steep hills and close calls on a regular basis then you would want to have the ability to stop at the drop of a hat too.

yes, but if you have the ability to stop the back wheel, (which you do on a fixed gear), adding a brake on that won't change anything. And actually, a fron brake stops better than a back brake, so locked legs and a front break is easily sufficient for almost all situations.

So, in no relation to the current discussion in the thread, I'm switching back to bullhorns w/ white bar tape from risers.

I need to make a shim for my brake, my bars are 25.4mm and the brake is meant for 26mm so it's WAY loose..Any suggestions?

hey zelah u should download the puma 101 fixed gear book and have a read. Bullhorn is recommended for skidding and climbing.

and if you get it DOWNLOAD IT. the douche on ebay prints out the lo-res PDF and sells it... the quality is so bad you can't even read some parts.

haha i just looked that dude up again and he's just selling the pdf outright. what a dick.

hey zelah u should download the puma 101 fixed gear book and have a read. Bullhorn is recommended for skidding and climbing.

get out of here with that, bullhorns are fine but they're not going to help you stop faster

maybe you should try riding one instead of reading about it in a pamphlet put out by puma

the only skid benefits of bullhorns is that it lets you be farther over the front wheel. if you're skidding to stop you need to have as much weight on the back wheel as possible. Thats what I'm getting at, saying they help you skid is a moot point since they help you with the distance skids