samurai denim contest [pics]

beatle

samurai did a secret kinda trick to the contest jeans.

does anybody know exactly what has been done ? beatle ?

looking good all the way around, but damn a lot of people are hidin' in the bushes. get out and pmp (post more pics)

This is what the BiG website says

"Weighing in at 15 ounces, Samurai also maximized the tension of the weave, so that after washing, the denim actually becomes even more stiff and the weave even tighter. This is the first time Samurai has done this, resulting in a jean with unprecedented "atari" (fading)."

dude man, digital's dont fade as crazy as poly's for sho... I'm uploading the pics to flickr as I type... you guys should get a Flickr account so you can see them at full resolution... I'll post a few pics here... some of the files are pretty big even compressed in JPEG, like one is 4.3MB, fucking stubby denim doesn't compress easily!! LOL!

For the non-macro shots I used a large softbox on a strobe on 1 side and available light from the windows as fill on the other side, it's an overcast day so the available light was pretty soft. To get the color to match the true color I adjusted the white balance in raw conversion, and fixed them up with custom curve adjustments in Photoshop. I also applied minor USM sharpening on some pics.

yeah we gotta do this once a month, I've already tagged them with "digital_denim_update_1", so we will have like 11 of them in the future and they should be easy to find to generate slideshows and stuff, LOL...

I'll take that drink... lol...

Guest jeffvyain

ayn, i'm not very versed in all that terminology you just whipped out there, but i am somewhat familiar with white balancing to get proper colors. do most digital SLRs have a white balance feature? I'm looking to get one before too long. I miss taking photos.

man this is gonna get way OT... but that is the nature of superfuture so what the heck...

all digital cameras have some sort of white balance settings, it is like how you would use different films in different kindda color temperature when you shoot films (like tungsten vs daylight vs others)... almost all digicams have an Auto WB mode, how well that works depends on the algorithm it uses. You can also manually set the WB in most cameras, in most "prosumer" cameras you can also specify the color temperature manually in degree K, if you happen to know what it's supposed to be. You can also set custom WB by shooting something that is pure white in the same lighting conditions, and tell the camera to use that as the "custom WB" setting...

It's hard to figure out the perfect WB pre-exposure, there are some tools you could buy like some WB discs that help you figure out the color temperature. The best way, IMO, is to shoot in RAW format (or NEF if you use Nikon stuff), when you shoot RAW the files contain exactly what the CCD or CMOS sensor recorded, without applying any lossy compression or WB settings. So you can just not worry about getting the correct WB pre-exposure, and adjust it in a raw converter in post-processing. (of course it's still best to do it right pre-exposure, like in a typical model shoot I take about 500 frames, it would be a big pain to go back and manually adjust each and every one of them)...

here is my hack of denimcontest.com: www.clarksvegas.com/denim

I have all the users logins and passwords entered, but I don't want to start getting people on it without it being "official." Anyways, check it out. I used 2000db's friend's design totally stolen. I'll give him credit where credit is due. I don't want any donations, but you're more than welcome to send him some for the design work.

I redesigned the user page template and currenlty working on a way to have a "profile" type thing at the top like denimcontest.com with First/Second Wash, Wear Frequency, etc but that's all I have to do. Logins, posts, and uploading pictures is working wonderfully.

cant the startpage be fixed...

the denim rack disappears when the cursor runs over a pair of jeans..

I hope it can be fixed, but I am guessing you're running Internet Explorer 6.0 or older. Internet Explorer 6.0 was released in 2001 and no real changes have been made to the core rendering engine of it. I would suggest:

1) Use Firefox.

2) Use Opera.

3) Upgrade your Internet Explorer to 7.0

4) Don't sweat it. It still works, just a little glitchy.

I do understand that hoardes of people aren't going to understand this or have the ability to even install software or capacity to do it, so it will be fixed somehow. It just isn't a pressing issue, but thanks for the feedback.

i guess you're starting with safari, because it seems to work fine with it. but just fyi (and not trying to overload you with problems), the bottom row of the denim rack doesn't show up in firefox.

Weird, I will PM you about it. It seems to work fine for me on Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0 on the latest Mac OS X and Windows XP service pack.

Guest jeffvyain

though i do regret having to sell my jeans, i'm sure glad i sold them to you, 386. site looks awesome. +10 superpoints to you.

oh, by the way, there were a couple numbers that got skipped over... i believe it was #6 and #24. are these people MIA or did you just miss a couple links?

Also #20; MIA. I think they were people that ended up not ordering from Samurai. I scanned over the old Experiment thread and this thread to gather all of the information I could and also from all the info beatle had.

i agree, but if i was the coder for the other site, i'd probably be pretty pissed that my hard work was just stolen. 386 did what was needed, ie. individualize each section, but since the other spent some serious time already, let's give him a chance to finish up. Hopefully he will. But either way good work 386

So far I don't think it's been a big deal, but I think it will be later on. Lots of people have posted pics in this thread, the problem is wading through every page to find them. Still no big deal though, it's just a bunch of pics of barely worn jeans. Now though, with month two updates coming things are starting to get interesting (for me anyway). I'd like a place to go to see how everyone else is doing. A place where it's easy to see how everyone else is doing.

i agree, but if i was the coder for the other site, i'd probably be pretty pissed that my hard work was just stolen. 386 did what was needed, ie. individualize each section, but since the other spent some serious time already, let's give him a chance to finish up. Hopefully he will. But either way good work 386

True true.. but how long should we wait? I think we have already waited and given him chances to finish up.. so i vote that we go with 386's version.