what is dry denim? what does it mean?

cheapmuthafukr

Didn't we already have this thread a few weeks back?

I'm not really sure I understand the point. I mean, I think we're all pretty well aware that you can wash and wear your jeans however you like.

No no no... Everybody will wash and wear their pants the way I like... that is the only way it is gonna happen. My way or the highway.

That being said. I really like the dark jeans, so I resist washing. If I was more active I may wash more, but my cush office job doesn't get me too dirty... Although I do get some snail trails on the jeans, when my broad rides me with the jeans on. I still don't wash them... wear 'em as a badge of courage. Kind of a big sign on my crotch saying, "Check this dude out. He gets laid."

i have always washed my jeans as little as possible. i just dont think that denim requires it. i think for the average person washing your jeans every single time you wear them is totally unecessary and counterintuitive to the spirit of the fabric. same with babying them. just wear the shit out of them. a great pair of jeans molds to your body and takes on its own patina through extended wear. when they become dirty enough that you feel they need it, wash them. thats how i have always done it. that and im kinda lazy.

i have always liked darker jeans but i also love a great vintage fade. having said that being too intentional makes the fade look forced and kinda fake. i also delay washing for as long as possible because i like the way new denim looks and i also think jeans with a bit of grime on them just look better. i like dark jeans to stay dark. i want them to fade as slow as possible. ive never understood why people wanted their denim to lose color and fade quickly.

but the jeans that i skate in get washed much more often (still not every wear) but im sure if i lived in florida and skated in sugarcanes (something i personally wouldnt do anyway) im sure they would get washed much more often.

i agree with cheap about the trend towards dark denim being more about a simpler and cleaner look but this has happened every 5-7 years forever. if you look back to the late 90's dark cuffed denim was everywhere. the pendulum always swings back. after a few years of prefaded, destroyed jeans it has gone back to dark and simple again. now im seeing lighter jeans (even acidy washes) back on the horizon. i dont think the current trend has much to do with the average denim wearer trying to get authentic fades, although its origins certainly had something to do with it.

BOTTOM LINE: wear them how you dig man. if you want to wear them 6-12 months without a wash, cool. if you want to wash them once a week go for it. no matter how you do it the end result will reflect you and your lifestyle and thats one of the things that i think makes denim so unique.

that and this sentiment

"dry denim is a mirror that reflects its wearer even as it conceals the genitals."

rigid isn't always raw in the same way unwashed and dry are - rigid evisu x puma jeans are not raw, but at the very least one-wash.

deadstock if i'm not wrong strictly refers to a piece that is no longer in production (ie. stock that is "dead" and no longer running)...but yeah often it's used to refer to old jeans that are still in their original unwashed state.

hard...well. that's entirely your call. ;)

I think some of the 'fashion' brands use the terms interchangeably (arguably, incorrectly).

In my "guestimated" opinion, I guess 'dry' would be a jeans that has never ever seen water... So that would exclude 'sanforized' jeans. Therefore Lee repros would not be considered 'dry' ?? (just my thoughts)

I suppose LVC repros you would consider 'dry'.

Deadstock - a clothing item you find from many years ago which has never been worn. (I suppose Levis is responsible for this being used incorrectly currently)

Raw: denim that hasn't been bleached and "vintaged " at the factory?

"Deadstock" doesn't neccassarily indicate a finished piece of clothing.

Some small jeans manufacturers (like Crate, for example) make their jeans from deadstock denim. This means they buy unused fabric purchased from larger companies (Crate gets theirs from Levis) because they don't have the means or wherewithall to loom their own. Lee, Levis, etc. have warehouses full of denim that they may never use, so in some instances they sell it off.