working at AA

shagnscoob

they give you a small allowance periodically and 50% off. the odds of you getting hired anywhere in retail during that time period is likely going to be slim to none as most places cut hours drastically after the holidays since business declines. if you want a job for those months, it'd be best to start working during the holidays and continue on after december.

i worked at urban outfitters, its 40%

my friend was a manager at AA, he just gave me free shit.

from what i hear from other former coworkers from urban outfitters that now work at AA, they just take shit for free because no AA stores have cameras.

anyway, if you want a "fun" store to work at, don't base that on the stuff that they sell or the atmosphere they attempt to portray. working at all of those kinds of places blows major ass.

your pay is shit, you do the same single task over and over, and work late nights.

from personal experience, working at urban outfitters or AA is no different than working at express or macy's. try to get a retail job where you actually have some responsibility and you're in charge of at least something.

it allows you to be creative, and thats a lot more fun than folding a BDG shirt or hanigng up some AA speedos..

I know everyone likes to hate on them for various reasons . . .but I have been working at Starbucks for the past 2 months and it's probably the best job i've had so far overall. and i've been working at various places since I was 12. The pay isn't awesome, I started at $7.50 but I'll get a raise in 4 months and I get an extra $35-$40 a week in tips. It's fun and fast paced and you get free drinks and shit. and they are really flexible with hours. it's way better then folding t-shirts all day.

I'm trying to figure out why this thread is in superjetset..

where else should it go?

the way i see it is-- even if it sucks folding clothes all day, i can basically dress the way i dress everyday anyway, and the discount is ridiculous. i dont know that id just take stuff unless the manager gave me permission, but 50% still rocks.

it seems like everyone works at starbucks though, maybe thats jsut around here. i could try that, theres one right here that would be perfect...

p.s. express paid me minimum wage, always made me close on saturday nights (and that was the only 4 hours i ever worked, saturday nights, once or twice a month) and they thought they could take advantage of me because i was the youngest. they hired some younger, less experienced girls than me, and started them at like $8 or something crazy. thats when i said fuck this.

The thing with AA in particular, I think, is that you can easily get their stuff wholesale and it's at a way cheaper price then 50% . . . where as a place like Urban Outfitters you can't readily get any of their stuff at a better discount then what they offer. So that would be a better deal, b/c im sure the hourly rate is similar.

I work at Urban...It's not bad, but it really depends on who your co-workers are. They make or break everything. Not to mention how busy your store is. Until you adjust to the constant mess you're going to hate folding and refolding everything 20x a day. I mean, I get paid to stand around and talk so I can't complain and I'm a lead.

where else should it go?

Well, definitely not here!

superjetset

travelling to a superfuture city? exotic holiday? trying to get the lowdown from the local residente?... best hotels, worst airports, good shopping zones, BAD shopping zones, shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, gay, straight, warped, weird, etc

I'd have gone for supershopper or supertrash (no pun intended) or even superblurber. This forum would probably be my last pick (apart from superdenim perhaps). I don't see how this is in any way related to travel.

where else should it go?

the way i see it is-- even if it sucks folding clothes all day,

Everything from AA is on a hanger.

edit: My boyfriend worked at UO but now works at American Apparel. He tells me that AA is the easiest job ever, there were only like twenty five people that went in to the AA that he works at this Tuesday.

here in southern california, AA starts you at $9.50

i don't see what the appeal is... maybe because i've worked those jobs.

i'd rather work as stock for a high end boutique..

my friend works at tori burch (old lady expensive clothes) as a stock boy, gets to wear whatever he wants, and makes $13 an hour.

AA and UO are just appearance. those jobs reaally suck and are super boring. you don't learn any skills that will help you get better jobs later on, and you get over the discount real soon when all the stuff they carry becomes lame to you.

• 1 month later...

anyone else want to recommend a good semi-seasonal job?

ive got 2 months to work a lot of hours starting this holiday season, and then after that i can work at least weekends... im about to go to starbucks and fill out an application, but my brother worked at a different one and said he hated it because they always made him clean the bathrooms...

It was me that was talking about Starbucks. It is the only job that I have ever had that I don't dread going to. It is actually fun and I dont have to spend my paycheck buying clothes at my work to wear to work.

and to Calvin Oscar above . . . there are bitchy people in EVERY business, food, retail, anything. I love nothing more then having the most bitchy ass customer in the world ordering some ridiculously complicated drink leave with a smile.

anyone else want to recommend a good semi-seasonal job?

ive got 2 months to work a lot of hours starting this holiday season, and then after that i can work at least weekends... im about to go to starbucks and fill out an application, but my brother worked at a different one and said he hated it because they always made him clean the bathrooms...

i used to work seasonally at borders books. one year i did music stock, one year it was books, and one year i did the coffee bar. it was fun, pay was decent, and i worked with alot of cool people. and it rocks to have that discount at xmas, because unlike aa or uo, everyone you know (mom, dad, family etc...) could use something from borders.

I work at Barneys Co-Op in South Coast Plaza as the men's Fitting Room Attendent. My co-workers are all really chill and laid back. I get paid $9.00 an hour and I get an employee discount of 35% off. During the beginning of fall and summer I get a 45% "build your employee wardrobe" discount. Its chill because I get to help people in the fitting rooms pick out clothes at times. Just today I got some kid to get some APC New Cures over some other jean. He was totally stoked on it.

Anyways, If you guys ever stop by make sure you say hi. :)

working at AA is just like any other retail job really. i would imagine had you worked for them 2 or 3 years ago when the company was just starting to grow it would be different, but its so big and corporate now you might as well work at the gap.

i am a stock manager and it fucking sucks. because of the public image of the company all of the new hires come in thinking they can slack off because thats "cool" and it generally results in me having to cover their slack. i am quitting in 2 weeks and aside from a few aspects of the job and a select few people that i have met over the course of my employment that i am going to miss, i couldnt be happier.

the cool thing about it, at least working in new york, is the experience of being around a completely hands on owner like dov. i was working at the flagship store on broadway and would see him everyday that he was in town. i thought it was really cool, considering how overblown the company has gotten in the past year or two, that you would still see the owner, and he would work side by side with you, just for the sake of motivation.

and i can't say that i haven't learned anything that i can take to another job, either. i know the computer program all of the stores are linked together by like the back of my hand, along with all sorts other general stock protocol. and i plan to do exactly that, take my experience somewhere else, with more professional coworkers and better pay.

one place i can confidently say, that you don't really want to work, is a thrift store like the salvation army. i personally hate it more than any job i've had, many of which dealt with running sound/lights for moronic dance program coordinators and play directors hahaha. those also did pay double and then some compared to what i make now though.. haha.

the only perk to the job is the stuff i bring home. you're not supposed to take stuff but almost everyone does it and they suffer no real loss considering everything they sell is donated. you get to see everything before its put on the floor which is nice too, brand new clothes comes in here and there, and a lot of stuff that looks it. aside from that though, there are no perks at all. i have bad allergies, so the mold and dust makes it hard to go without sneezing/coughing/breathing well, all day. the customers are either senile, don't speak english, or are just plain rude, which gets old very fast. they pay sucks too. i honestly don't know why im still there, probably cause i dont have to work friday/saturday night and i get to bring home clothes almost everyday hahaha.

why would you want to work at AA? just ask one of the employee's to put you on the friends and family discount and bam you got 30% off...or you can order wholesaler and save even more money..one time i was shopping there and their computer system was down and they to manually write down all the bills, the manager just gave me 90% off lol. i guess maybe it helped he thought my friend was cute.

I work at Barneys Co-Op in South Coast Plaza as the men's Fitting Room Attendent. My co-workers are all really chill and laid back. I get paid $9.00 an hour and I get an employee discount of 35% off. During the beginning of fall and summer I get a 45% "build your employee wardrobe" discount. Its chill because I get to help people in the fitting rooms pick out clothes at times. Just today I got some kid to get some APC New Cures over some other jean. He was totally stoked on it.

Do you guys stock anything from APC other than the jeans? Any other decent brands?

I might come by and do just that sometime. It's a bit of a drive, but if you guys have some nice stuff it might be worth it.

If you wear your apc's... i'll know its you. What days do you work?