Freedom Tower and other planned buildings at ground zero

MJNevin

Do you like the buldings to be constructed around ground zero in NYC?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the buldings to be constructed around ground zero in NYC?

• Yes
    • No

There are pictures all over the palce of the planned buildings at ground zero, and I personally think they are all very cool looking and will make a great addiction to the NYC skyline. Just wondering what everyone else here thinks about the proposed plans.

For pictures of the freedom tower check out http://blog.wired.com/freedomtower/

Not sure where good pictures of the other buildings can be found but I'm sure google will help.

as an architect myself i find them to be quite uninspired (especially compared to the incredible buildings going up in Beijing over the next few years). It's a sad case; beurocracy edited a lot of the intention out of the original schemes, and now it just looks like a hodge podge of glass towers - pretty mediocre. Add to that the incredible amount of time it's taken just to break ground, and it seems like a missed opportunity to me...

there are two problems i have

1) the 1776-foot height thing. totally absurd for a number of reasons that I think everyone understands. why don't we build...a park? a better use of money and it would also show that we aren't complete assholes.

2)the firm that designed the towers is notorious for coming up with ideas that might look great on paper but from a technical standpoint are nearly impossible to build. this is true for the freedom towers. they might look nice (although not to me) but they are certainly not nearly as strong as the twin towers were (which I find strange that they would approve a commission like that) and also will not look the way they do on paper. they are too hard to realize.

• 2 weeks later...

The Marlyne Monroe building going up in Canada is also awsome. As are some of the olympic buildings in Beijing. I'm opposed to the fact taht many thousands of people have been displaced withnearly no help by the Chinese government there, but the buildings going up do look nice.

there are two problems i have

1) the 1776-foot height thing. totally absurd for a number of reasons that I think everyone understands. why don't we build...a park? a better use of money and it would also show that we aren't complete assholes.

I think there is a small park near there?

*cough* Central Park two minutes away *cough*

In the ideal world it would be the statement that matters, not the profit. That's what makes this whole thing so ludicrous.