denim hiarchy

Blackplatano

yeah. you can't start talking about jeans without talking about the original 501s, including the one-pockets from the 1870s and the first five-pockets ever. they will always be the holy grails of denim.

but if you want to create a hierarchy in jeans made today, i think you have to first break them down into categories and decide what you're going to be judging them by.

for example, lvc 33 501s might be great for many replica fans, but they might be shit to people looking for what's more fashionable and slim fitting like diors, apcs and nudies. some people are looking more into craftsmanship (45rpms, pure blues) while some people are looking for something with more originality (onis).

i mean, it's a little bit like creating a hierarchy in cars. how are you going to decide if a porsche cayenne is above or below a mercedes slk? does it have something to do with model t ford, which is probably the holy grail here?

given everyone's replies, I think a superfuture denim hierarchy has been clearly established, but that seems loosely based on replicating levi's production standards, and producing heavy, slubby denim that will eventually produce a great fade.

There are huge differences in quality both within given companies hastily dubbed as celebrity trash, and between them. Some high end models from these companies have high standard of manufacturing quality, and some companies just flat out suck, from a quality and aesthetic standpoint. That being said, if you aren't looking for raw denim, many of the commonly lambasted designers on this forum put the majority of their time/resources/creativity into coming up with interesting/crazy/overthetop/ugly (depending on who you ask) washes. While these undeniably can't compare with the personalization of 45 rpm bespokes or your own raw pair after 2+ years, that doesn't mean they have no intrinsic value whatsoever. For most of the unitiated, these are the jeans that look interesting, and I for one try to both follow and set trends, depending on my mood. The anti-fit of my okinawas certainly never gets the compliments my slimmer TRs or D&Gs do...

i think what it comes down to is a hierarchy of personal taste, as there is a huge variation of preferences within this given small forum, and to objectively rank them is questionable at best. That being said, I would love to see how a variety of designers hold up to a series of stress tests, but I don't think anyone is willing to subject their uber-expensive denim to the torture this would entail