Back when Diesel made good jeans...

drgitlin

In addition to the LVC 201s, the package from back home also included a pair of the original selvedge jeans that Diesel used to make, back before they lost their mind with Style Lab.

They're the Old Glory Keetar 740s, a really nice light denim - about 12 oz I think, similar to a 501 cut. Despite these being a 29" waist, I can just about fit in them - I might see if I can stretch them out a little bit and put them into rotation.

237921650_2e1101c1c6.jpg

237921226_9eaaf1a77e.jpg

237920122_dcfede4e89.jpg

237919687_27faed5f7a.jpg

Say what you like about them now, back then they made some decent jeans. I just wish I still had my selvedge Kratts...

The problem with those Diesels and the early LVC (most LVC in my opinion) is that the indigo pales and fades too quickly. It is great to see jeans from that era though. I was just getting into it when those were fading out. I have a pair of early Sixty jeans from that era in an italian cut (Helmut Langish) that are made with light weight Kurabo selvage and they are awesome.

Just by coincidence I know the designers of the Old Glory range, they happened to be friends of my girlfriend. Thye were easily the first mass-market vintage-style jean, andw ere inspired by people in London, like my gf and her bro, who'd wear vintage Levi's. You could buy the excellent Lee Euro repros at the same time too.

Serge, you couild be right about the indigo, but it's so hard to tell. My Euro Lees, I think the fabric's Nisshinbo, have had dozens of washes but have kept their tone just as well as my old 50s 501s. ONe old mod friend of mine, who's collected stuff sionce the 60s, has quite a few mint 50s examples, plus 30s Levi's, plus a bunch of LVC, a total expert, reckons the biggest difference between 50s jeans and good repro comes from the difference in the make-up of washing powder, and more efficient washing machines...

In addition to the LVC 201s, the package from back home also included a pair of the original selvedge jeans that Diesel used to make, back before they lost their mind with Style Lab.

They're the Old Glory Keetar 740s, a really nice light denim - about 12 oz I think, similar to a 501 cut. Despite these being a 29" waist, I can just about fit in them - I might see if I can stretch them out a little bit and put them into rotation.

237921226_9eaaf1a77e.jpg

Say what you like about them now, back then they made some decent jeans. I just wish I still had my selvedge Kratts...

that selvage looks just like the denim i used in making my slip ons... which came from a pair of... you wont believe this... CHAPS jeans... as in low end ralph lauren. if it is the same, it is very nice denim. nice jeans... i like em.

it does baffle me why the big European companies stopped making some of their better models.

I just managed to pick up a pair of the Lee europe 101bs from a collector in deadstock condition, and they have the full white selvedge (not half selvedge) and they are the "true " selvedge, (not the fake / fuzzy version they now use).

Will post pics later if anyone's interested.

RE: Diesels: I always wanted a pair of the ones with the Mohican guy on the 'leather' patch. I believe some of those had the orange line too...