diet butcher slim skin

xcoldricex

this is a bit old, but no one posted it so if you missed it jc reports interviewed diet butcher slim skin.

505.jpg

As we outlined in our Tokyo issue earlier this year, it's fashion overload in the city that we consider the world's fashion capital. From Nakameguero to Harajuku, Aoyama to Daikayama, Tokyo is an inexhaustible shopper's paradise. In our most recent trip earlier this month, we descended on Metal Burger to scoop up items from Diet Butcher Slim Skin, our favorite Japanese label. With American Hardcore on our mind, we ran into DBSS designer and Metal Burger owner Hisashi Fukatami (wearing a t-shirt covered in anarchy symbols), and we recognized a connection and sat him down for an interview on his punk roots and his commitment to the alternative.

JCR: Is the t-shirt you're wearing one of your own creations?

HF: Yes.

JCR: How old are Diet Butcher Slim Skin and Metal Burger?

HF: Diet Butcher is ten years old, but I've taken breaks over the years, and Metal Burger is four years old.

JCR: Did you study fashion?

HF: No, I never studied fashion. I used to work for a clothing company and the owner there taught me how to design.

JCR: Do you consider DBSS an alternative label?

HF: Yes it is, and I wish it to be from here forward, even as the label is becoming more and more known.

JCR: What does alternative fashion mean to you?

HF: It means to be stubborn and to do what I want to do, to design what I want to design.

JCR: Are you lover of punk music?

HF: Yes, punk music is why I got into fashion. The Jam, The Clash, Sex Pistols and many others are some of the groups I listen to.

JCR: Did you live a punk experience?

HF: I grew up in rural Japan; there was no movement where I'm from.

JCR: Where did the name Diet Butcher Slim Skin come from, is it a punk rock name?

HF: It doesn't have any meaning. I liked the name because it has beat and rhythm.

JCR: So it's a very punk rock name?

HF: Yes.

JCR: What about luxury, is DBSS a luxury brand?

HF: Not at all.

JCR: There's a fetishistic sex angle to the label, tell us about that.

HF: My first visual influences were Jamie Leids' graphics. He did all the Sex Pistols' album covers. They had a very fetishistic angle. That remained a big influence on me over this time.

JCR: Tell us about some of the fabrics in your collections, I think they're some of the most unique around.

HF: To me, the fabrics are not special, they simply interest me at that time.

JCR: So these pieces hanging here for example, you didn't go to great lengths to get this special nylon for these bomber jackets?

HF: Other babies remain in me while some get out, this is the case with the nylon jackets hanging there.

JCR: What inspires the label?

HF: I'm influenced by many different elements, but I extract the most punkish influences in those things to inspire my creations. I'm a true punk at heart.

This interview was conducted by Jason Campbell

Ah good post. I do remember reading this in the JC report.

Is it just me, or are these interviews never that informational?

JC report should take some pointers from A magazine. I don't know if anyone's been able to check out the Yohji Yamamoto issue, but it has fantastic interviews. Very well thought out questions coupled with detailed answers makes for a good read.

• 9 months later...

is that the store that's in the basement of some tiny ass building

with a star trek-esque automatic door?

their stuff ain't exactly my steez but

the store is pretty cool

i don't see why HF cannot be Japanese person's initial.

most things are possible, especially in japan off the top of my head are...

v q x l or c (the latter two are replaced by r and k respectively)

the guy who owns all those japanese streetwear companies (or something like that) initials are HF .

the guy was probably just asking if HF are common initials in japan. no racism intended i think.

• 2 months later...
Guest jmatsu
yeah...those r dope...specially the blue ones.

it's funny i actually examined these. softer than the rick owens ones. it's like they shortened the tongues, used his silouette and added a new balance roller sole.