What Kind Of Levis are these????Help?

Guest denimfanatic

Guest denimfanatic

I just bought some jeans from the Levis Outlet In the Bay Area,California. They are raw,but not selvage. They aren't 501 shrink to fit,the tag reads 20517-0217 the little levis tag on the side of the pocket on the butt is orange and says Levis in black. Anyone ever seen these,and if so what do you think of them?Will they break in good?Or is it shitty denim. They also are bootcut.

I just bought some jeans from the Levis Outlet In the Bay Area,California. They are raw,but not selvage. They aren't 501 shrink to fit,the tag reads 20517-0217 the little levis tag on the side of the pocket on the butt is orange and says Levis in black. Anyone ever seen these,and if so what do you think of them?Will they break in good?Or is it shitty denim. They also are bootcut.

they are levis 517s. they made 517 orange tabs from the early 70's all the way up to at least '96 or so, maybe later.

the 0217 designates the type of denim, which gets a very textured and grainy fade quite unlike 501s.

are they made in the u.s.a?

i have quite a few pairs of these from various eras and the results are mixed but generally pretty good. if you like the fit and you wash and wear them hard they will turn out great.

here is a pic of some 20517-0217 orange tabs. these obviously went a while before the first wash.

1001421ck8.jpg

1001422gg9.jpg

they will stretch and shrink just like any other jeans but they are preshrunk so when you wash it will be minimal. the denim is pretty thick and sturdy so the stretching should also be minimal before the first wash.

• 1 year later...

These are Levi's Saddleman (orange tab) jeans. In the 70's, at least, the numbers on the leater label were: 20517 0217. I can state this with authority, because a couple of months ago, I won a pair of these..new with tags (old store stock). The big paper label that was attached to the right back pocket (in big letters) read: Levi's Saddleman. They were a very raw denim, at first. These jeans are the type that will last for ages. I'm actually wearing them right now.

- Ian

• 2 weeks later...