Staining w/ raw denim

DEPHT

I do a warm soak of the leg ends like 6" down and then semi-cold soak the jeans inside out . Then add a 1/2 cup of distilled vinegar and let leg ends soak another hour or so and do a quick rinse in warm .

Then when I hang them to dry before putting them on while damp I always hang them from the cuffs with the " clamp hangers " so the indigo the is flowing still flows away from the cuffs ..

Then before the initial wear with shoes I do spray starch with the jeans inside out at the cuffs and about 2-3" up ..

I do a warm soak of the leg ends like 6" down and then semi-cold soak the jeans inside out . Then add a 1/2 cup of distilled vinegar and let leg ends soak another hour or so and do a quick rinse in warm .

Then when I hang them to dry before putting them on while damp I always hang them from the cuffs with the " clamp hangers " so the indigo the is flowing still flows away from the cuffs ..

Then before the initial wear with shoes I do spray starch with the jeans inside out at the cuffs and about 2-3" up ..

wow..

that's a lot of..work.

yea i guess if you really care about your shoes.

so the vinegar actually works? i remember reading in some thread that vinegar didn't set the indigo but other dyes or something. idk it's late and im lazy.

edit**my eyes hurt.

Originally Posted by ringring

Vinegar doesn't set indigo. That's a misconception that springs from dyeing animal fibres (wools & silk) using acid dyes - where salt & vinegar have been traditionally used.

Indigo is an alkaline dye and in the case of denim, the fibre is cellulose rather than of animal origin. Different types of dye and dyeing methods.

This has been discussed several times on here - a search will bring up more info.

I only do it for the raw ones or one wash tweedles which I don't have many of honestly . I have a pair of 505 raw orange tab waiting for me to get round to and I just soaked my 517 orange tabs few days ago just to " get them out of the way " I have two pairs of one-wash and two pairs of raw for myself and plan on getting a pair of Levi selvage if I find a nice vintage pair yes .. dont want any premium junk , and LVC is hard to find raw except the one pockets which I dont like at all ..

It's going to be getting cooler soon so I figured rock the 517 most the cooler months when I dont wear my fresh sneakers much .

Only thing I collect truly is Nikes though btw ..

Will_i_am > I do know vinegar has been said to have no effect on indigo - but before that was revealed I did it so why stop now .. Vinegar is one thing that cause any leftover detergents etc to rinse away cleaner so I guess it cant hurt right ?

Curious tweedles why would vintage Levis suffer less bleeding than newer denim ?

yeah... i let my shoes get stained... mainly just skate shoes tho since the jeans only bleed when wet. i dont think tape would help me, so i let chemistry take its course and wear my blue topped shoes with pride. blue socks, underwear, sheets, couch, and shirts too.

yeah... i let my shoes get stained... mainly just skate shoes tho since the jeans only bleed when wet. i dont think tape would help me, so i let chemistry take its course and wear my blue topped shoes with pride. blue socks, underwear, sheets, couch, and shirts too.

you forgot the blue belt you wear even when nude....

and who really cares??? they are just shoes, if you're that worried, wear your shit shoes with them.