Shipping from japan to here

arthur

i just ordered some lad musician jeans with celga and they're shipping it to me soon, but i'm not sure whether or not to mark it as a gift and under $50.

they say not to since the US isn't all that annoying when it comes to customs, but i'd rather ask you guys...what should i do?

(i searched and all i could find was threads where people shipped as a gift under $50, no opinions about it)

what they probably meant is that theyre not as likely to take packages into customs since theres probably 10000x the mail coming into the country daily than in some smaller countries. but I dont see a reason not to mark it as a gift?

• 3 weeks later...
let's say it does say this 4 days from now, what do i do then?

go over there and pay a ridiculous sum of money, or what?

Every foreign package goes through customs.

If they decide to assess fees, you'll either a) be sent a bill in the mail or B) be required to go somewhere and pay first before picking it up.

You're probably okay though.

Ya, I do not even know if the time frame in tracking is reason to be concerned. I bought goods from xcoldricex, shipped from Japan, and the tracking said in customs in Vancouver for 3 days until it showed up at my door. No fees, but marked as gift.

One thing to consider is the labelled value is what you will be going by with insurance if something happens. This possibility should be weighed.

since all international mail have to be "inspected", there always an overflow at the point of entry (custom) and that means that your stuff will sit there doing nothing for a few days until some stupid custom agent can process it. but like others said before, US customs usually don't care about making you pay duties so it should be ok. and because of what happened in London, they probably tightened the security, which could be another explanation for the delay...