good hip hop

Blu, people.

This isn't new Blu, but he is doing stuff now. He was on the Roots new album. This guy is the future of Hip Hop along with Jay Electronica. Some real, raw stuff out of LA.

I will go so far as to say Blu will be on Nas's level one day. (Yes, Nas is one of the greatest emcee's in the history of hip hop, along with MF DOOM)

this post is funny

kanye's album is good musically. it tells a story. his details to layers of recording and mixing is mad dope. i respect the album for breaking barriers of what's in nowadays. i have to admit though, after listening to it for a few times, it gets mundane. whatever it is, the album is still dope to me.

i dont think ye's album is boring at all. im hoping hes plateauing stylistically here because i like his content more now than ever. i liked 808s alot once i got over the change of direction and now hes kind of mixing in that style with his more commercial radio-rap anthem style. i like that hes now equally cocky and vulnerable, instead of keeping those sides mutually exclusive. im all for sensitive thug rap, its probably my favorite music to listen to in terms of lyrical content. and kanyes been showing signs of brilliance in that department since late registration but went a little to far into whiny lil bitch territory for a minute. now hes equal parts swag and self-deprecation. its a fine balance. plus having q tip and rza beats with raekwon guest shots is never a bad look. im even looking forward to kudi's album after doing a total 180 on his record, too.

On the topic of Kanye's new shit, I dig the instrumental and musical elements, but I'm getting really tired of rappers with no singing talent trying to sing. That stuff is cool every once in a while (e.g. "Big Brother", spaceship" and it sort of works for "runaway"), but it's happening way too much. I feel like every time I hear a new Kanye, Eminem or Kid Cudi (does Cudi actually rap? I was never really into him so I've only heard a few of his singles from his last album and the song posted above) song, I have to endure pathetic, out-of-tune attempts at singing. I feel like these guys are trying to put out an earnest, heartfelt and personal with this approach, but it comes off more like a someone who is way too serious about karaoke. Anyway, I'm not liking it. For the most part, singing should be left to people who are good at it. None of these guys are the next Bob Dylan.

I'm not going to try to defend Kanye West singing. He is not a singer. He's barely even a rapper. However, It sounds like he's at least taking vocal lessons and trying to sound sufficiently on tune.

Also this struck me as strange, what do you guys think? I linked to the post in question just click the image. I had no idea asking NESK-Y-POO to word us up was that offensive. I apologize for hurting your feelings, guy.

rude.jpg

On the topic of Kanye's new shit, I dig the instrumental and musical elements, but I'm getting really tired of rappers with no singing talent trying to sing. That stuff is cool every once in a while (e.g. "Big Brother", spaceship" and it sort of works for "runaway"), but it's happening way too much. I feel like every time I hear a new Kanye, Eminem or Kid Cudi (does Cudi actually rap? I was never really into him so I've only heard a few of his singles from his last album and the song posted above) song, I have to endure pathetic, out-of-tune attempts at singing. I feel like these guys are trying to put out an earnest, heartfelt and personal with this approach, but it comes off more like a someone who is way too serious about karaoke. Anyway, I'm not liking it. For the most part, singing should be left to people who are good at it. None of these guys are the next Bob Dylan.

50 changed the game for serious hip-hop artists (2)

Kanye's album is fucking amazing, and if you don't think so, you're trying to be a "cool guy". Fuck, even the bizarre inclusion of Rick Ross couldn't stop my love for this album. We got it in at my store thursday night, and I really do think it's the shit. Despite the lack of the promised production by Madlib, Pete Rock, and Primo the album is still nearly flawless. I agree Swizz Beats needs to shut the fuck up, but honestly that beat (which Swizz clearly had no part in, peace to allah) is so raw.

Curren$y's new joint is fire too. Ski fully actualized the production style he was cultivating in Pilot Talk 1 and shit is too dope. New Yelawolf has some good tracks on it too, but he's taking the "yela" part of his name to seriously and does some whiteboy party rap yelling on a few tracks which isn't really to my taste at all.

The Kid Cudi is aight. It's kind of growing on me, but it wont ever touch his debut imo.. Sophomore albums are tough though, hopefully his 3rd album shows even more innovative production behind him, but maybe with fewer "Oh oh ohhhh oh oh ohohhhhhh" pseudo-sang-raps

Favorite track atm:

DoUMsMrlMZw

i dont think ye's album is boring at all. im hoping hes plateauing stylistically here because i like his content more now than ever. i liked 808s alot once i got over the change of direction and now hes kind of mixing in that style with his more commercial radio-rap anthem style. i like that hes now equally cocky and vulnerable, instead of keeping those sides mutually exclusive. im all for sensitive thug rap, its probably my favorite music to listen to in terms of lyrical content. and kanyes been showing signs of brilliance in that department since late registration but went a little to far into whiny lil bitch territory for a minute. now hes equal parts swag and self-deprecation. its a fine balance. plus having q tip and rza beats with raekwon guest shots is never a bad look. im even looking forward to kudi's album after doing a total 180 on his record, too.

pretty much agree. except I still hate 808's. but am liking the new album.