SD103 or PBJ XX-005?

mizanation

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty torn between the Eternal x Tigers, SD-103s an XX-005s.

I went with the PBJs. I already have 2 pairs of dry denim.. my Nudies I wear to work and they're getting completely destroyed, my APCs I don't wear very often and I'm never going to wash them with water to keep them dark.

Chose the PBJs because the denim is so unlike anything else I have.. I'm very curious to see how they fade but I'm not expecting high contrast whiskering like on my other dry denim. So the XX-005s are less of a 'project jean' for me... if I wanted another one of those I would have gotten the SD-103s.

I think you have to start with the 103s. Really simple and fades beautifully. I think it's always wise to start simply and then move on to more unique items. I always return to my 103s once every couple of weeks because i love the way they look and fit. P.S. probably going to get the xx005 soon, though.

poly, how are you doing with your new jeans. wearing a different one everyday? or have you gravitated towards one pair?

103's that i got in the spring and samauri's 66's have been on and off for the past few weeks, probably till the end of the year, samauri's are impossible to break in, and the SDA's are coming along nicely....everything else is still is the dresser.....

i have both. the fit is a lot different in my opinion. the pbjs are pretty low and you get that, "wow my ass crack might be showing" feeling if you have to tie your shoe... and they are slimmer, but not by too much. The sd103 are a higher rise, not as much as a 501 at jcpenny of course. as far as fading goes, i dont know how they will end up so I can't provide any comments on that... the pbjs are really soft compared to the sd's post-soak. less creasing or whatever i guess for the pbjs.

i have both. the fit is a lot different in my opinion. the pbjs are pretty low and you get that, "wow my ass crack might be showing" feeling if you have to tie your shoe... and they are slimmer, but not by too much. The sd103 are a higher rise, not as much as a 501 at jcpenny of course. as far as fading goes, i dont know how they will end up so I can't provide any comments on that... the pbjs are really soft compared to the sd's post-soak. less creasing or whatever i guess for the pbjs.

yeah, they are slightly different. exactly how you described them.

i saw the XX-005s and i had to get them. and i love them.

the sd-103s will have to wait!

Have had the PBJs for a little over a week, and just saw the 103s yesterday at Blue in Green. The denim is very different, obviously. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stay and try stuff on, so I can't comment on fit. Whoever said something about the ass crack anxiety with 005s earlier was on point. Without trying on, I'm glad I got PBJs because the denim is unreal, though the SDAs looked really nice too, just not quite so ridiculous material-wise.

How long did you soak yours for?

I just got mine but i havent soaked them yet. I think im gonna do about 30 minutes in cold water in the tub with them them on and then wear them until they dry.

Any other suggestions?

^^^ of course! then after i soak, i drink the blue water left behind. it's kinda like a indigo martini.

carl, go to the top of the superdenim page and click on tweedlesinpink's denim encyclopedia. then, go to the samurai method of washing thread. it's translated by chicken. that should answer most of your questions.

How long did you soak yours for?

I just got mine but i havent soaked them yet. I think im gonna do about 30 minutes in cold water in the tub with them them on and then wear them until they dry.

Any other suggestions?

if you are referring to the sd-103's, then I soaked mine for about an hour and a half in a roman bathtub at 104 degrees fahrenheit. it was sort of a pain because my drain plug wasn't the best so it was leaking water and since they were going to be in there an hour and a half I had to set up the faucet so that it poured out at 104 degrees fahrenheit at just the right rate so it didn't overflow and it didn't lose all the water... i suceeded. They shrank up well.

the waist was a little tight but I stretched it out, then let it dry and everything is perfect.