$2225, and counting

mopar_jj

i think whenever you compress an image with fine patterns, you're running into a risk of getting some kind of a moiré. different compression system/ratio combined with the pattern in your image will produce different results. it's all trial and error.

sometimes, adding a little noise filter before compressing the files can help avoid severe moiré.

Chicken I think these originals prove my point though there nothing like seeing and handling originals in person to get a real feel for the texture and weight of the denim. But most original Levis were not very slubby and not real heavy in weight. So if you're looking for AUTHENTIC reproductions allot of the LVC stuff is pretty good (not all) as far as texture and weight of the denim. So to say they are cheap imatations of first of all their own product is not a very acurate statement especially to someone like me that is looking for a repro with as close to the right weight, texture, hardware as the original years they are reproducing. Thats not to say that some of these companies that are making 14 + oz slubby jeans aren't nice they just are not accurate. I have yet to see a 20s 201 with the right buttons, rivets, buckles, belt placement(most are below where they should be) from other makers besides LVC.

airfrog,

the thing is, how do you know for sure if the LVC stuff, let's say the LVC '47 501 is closest thing to the original? the reason why i ask is because the Sugar Cane '47 501 is different from the LVC, but they claim to make the most exact repro of the original, down to replicating stitching and an exact color match (of course they can't replicate pocket stitching). so, if you want the most accurate repro of the 1947 501, shouldn't you go with the sugarcane instead of the LVC?

If you've seen first hand (I have a friend that has some worn and deadstock (unworn) Levis from the 40s & 50s you'd see that the stuff is way more like LVC than some of the over done over slubby stuff that some companies are producing. Seeing first had can dispell allot of hype. I haven't seen a pair of 47 originals first had but the 40s and 50s stuff I have seen are not near as trim as the LVC 47s. But the denim is usually in the 12 oz range and as far as slubby check the deadstock ones that are early in this thread on ebay. Not all that slubby.

airfrog, when japanese jean companies make super slubby denim, you DO realize that they are not going for authenticity, right?

have you seen the sugarcane '47 501? they are not slubby. how does that compare to the deadstock 501s?

tailyor toyo, the company who makes buzz rickson and sugarcane, is notorious for making super authentic repros--they have an almost excessive penchant for detail. i would not be surprised if sugarcane makes a more exact copy of the '47 501 than Levi (sans pocket stitching).

The 47 501s are not one of my favorite LVCs. The SC are great.

If you read I do say the slubby heavy stuff is OK but just not for me I'm just looking for authenticity. My favorite LVC stuff are as follows

Valencia St made 20s 201s. AWESOME Blue/Green line selvege They look like no other LVCs.

Valencia St made 37 201s (1997)

1937 501s

I would love to get a deadstock pair of the 1886s and have a pair of 33 501s dry on order right now.

sorry, i was away drinking. i'm going to go out right after this for more. but anyways, yes, the super-slubby stuff is an exaggeration of what denim used to be when they were good -- when they were less perfect. but exaggarated, nonetheless. at that point, like miz pointed out, they're not going for authenticity anymore, but i think they're trying to push the envelope. which is pretty darn cool, if you ask me. better than doing nothing.

but when it comes to reproducing authenticity, say, have you seen the type of research and effort they put into, say, making one full count denim. they researched where the cottons used to come from and they're trying to go back to that.

shit, there's an article about big john, yes big john, i want to show you airfrog, about the length they went through to try to capture a degree of authenticity.

there's no dispute that levi's was the shit, and they can always stay that way. but there's also a chance they can become completely obsolete. do you know that pabst was a much bigger beer brand than budweiser way back when? how do you think the transition happened?

they are fucking levi's, the king of denim. more so than lee. more so than wrangler. they should always be undisputed. and what do you think happened in the last few decades? and what do you think can happen?

anyways, i have to go drink now.

Here are a couple of pages from the Style Book again. It was published in 2004, so it's probably a bit outdated, but should still give us a good idea of vintage pricing:

stylebook_024.jpg

Levi's S501XX (1942-1947) W39L30 ¥840,000 ($7,234.52 today)

Levi's 501XX (1947-1952) W36L32 ¥714,000 ($6,149.34)

My guess is that the prices are suggested by the stores who made the jeans available for this Style Book article. The names of the stores were actually next to the prices:

Levi's S501XX (1942-1947) W39L30 ¥840,000 ($7,234.52 today)

Pale Face

Levi's 501XX (1947-1952) W36L32 ¥714,000 ($6,149.34)

Marvin's

Levi's 501XX (1922) W32L29 ¥1,312,500 ($11,303.94)

Bell Bell Jin (sp?)

Levi's 501XX Buckle Back (1936-1942) ¥2,415,000 ($20,799.24)

Marvin's

And their phone numbers, if anyone wants to call them in Japan:

Pale Face 011-644-9660

Marvin's 03-5466-2390

Bell Bell Jin 03-3401-4666

chicken, i agree completely with what you said in the last page.

so, the style book is kind of like a blue book for denim? (blue book is a u.s. book that lists the market price of cars based on year, condition, etc...)

all this talk about producing an authentic product reminds me of the movie "the red violin" with samuel l jackson.

Chicken THANKS for posting that. I will say again these heavy slubby jeans are OK for some just not for me. I would rather have accurate reproductions cause I surely can't afford the originals. And I would be afraid to wear'm if I did pay that. But show me a maker that makes more accurate 20s 201s or 37 501s. I personally like the crotch rivets and buckle backs. Also if you notice in the book you referenced all of those pictured are full cut even the 47s. Most repros I've seen are very trim including the LVCs which after seeing originals from the period (not 47s though) which were all full cut I would say those trim cuts are just not accurate. I can't see any reason why Levis would make 44s full 50s full and the 47s narrow. I have seen some 40s and 50s originals and they were all full. Never saw an original 47 though so I can't say for sure but if all the ones made before and after were all cut similarly could you come to the conclusion that the 47s were cut that way to?