What would happen if.......?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, but my guess is that that pair of levi's was already quite worn in by a miner before it got buried. you can tell that most of the fades happened in the areas they should like in the knees, hem and pocket areas.

plus, that pair was from a time they used to do it right when it came to denim constructions (pre-mass production). probably quite a bit more durable than many of the jeans today.

i'm wondering if you just bury an okay jeans underground without much wear, it might not really do much.

but you never know. to sneakeraddict's point, maybe sarlo's experiment will bear a new type of effect (stonewash, sandblast, etc., ...) that people might enjoy. plus, it sounds like he wore it in a bit beforehand. i guess we'll see. don't get me wrong, i'm interested in this, too.

Sarlo.....your a bloody legend, that is hilarious, thanks for lightening up my day. Did any neighbours see you burying the Jeans? Must have looked mighty suspicious and odd.

Sarlo.....your a bloody legend, that is hilarious, thanks for lightening up my day. Did any neighbours see you burying the Jeans? Must have looked mighty suspicious and odd.

LOL!

I am quite worried actually since I started this thread.

I am worried that if I start a new thread "What would happen if..... You jumped off a cliff wearing some dry jeans?"

.... 2 minutes later we get a photo diary of Sarlo jumping off a cliff in some raw jeans!!!

i'm not that crazy :lol:

But why not? i was planned to do this so why not doing it now :D

I will let them underground for atleast one motnh.. becaus next week im going on vacation for 3 weeks so :)

I dont think your crazy, I think its excellent......you have my full support grasshopper. Make sure you give an extra hop and jump every time you pass over them.

I dont think your crazy, I think its excellent......you have my full support grasshopper. Make sure you give an extra hop and jump every time you pass over them.

that's a deal 8)

Ok - here's how we know if the design peeps at Nudie / APC whatever read this board:

In a few months, Sarlo posts his pics of the jeans after they have been dug up and then washed at 60.

Then, a month after the Extreme Jeans Makeover 'reveal' (!), Nudie produces a 'soil buried wash' and starts talking about their 'exclusive' soil burying process on their website!

;)

Umm, I hate to give away stupid ideas for stuff, but what if you were to use a 10% bleach solution and soak a large bathtub full of sponges with it. Then you could crumple up a pair of jeans that already had some distressing done on it, and lay it on top of the wet sponges so that they would only bleach the areas of the denim they touched. If you left it long enough it would fade the denim without destroying the fabric too much.

I have a pair of cutoff Levis that I left outside for a couple of months - Bleached with the sunlight. Here is what I propose if someone has the nerve/resources/jeans/time on their hands!

Need a North/south facing clothesline(Even sunlight exposure) - Plastic Line

Place a pair of jeans that already have been broke in with nice lines etc. on the line

Use plastic clothespins

Leave on line until desired fade develops.

Only thing I have not figured out is how to treat the metal on the jeans to keep from corroding or rusting.

Suggestions are

-Vaseline

-WD40

-Silicone Spray

Or Probably a Rust-Check type Product carefully applied with a small paintbrush to keep from staining the denim

Any Takers?

Mjj

in all seriousness. i have heard of people aging denim for up to a year in temperature controlled rooms to condition the fabric a certain way. i don't know if this is true, but it was a quote from a big denim expert. maybe one of the denim experts on this forum can confirm?

if anyone has handled a pair of 1970s levi's you will notice that it feels different than a pair of jeans that has been super-washed/distressed. time is the only way to get certain effects (although warehouse does a pretty spot-on vintage washed levi repro).

wine is aged, cheese is aged, meat is aged.

at cone, they have a specific type of selvage denim that is supposed to recreate the look of a pair of jeans that has been sitting in an attic for decades. again, if you have handled a pair of 30 year old jeans, you know what they're after.

hell, they even have shotgun distressing. this can't be that bizarre compared to that.

so, all i am saying is that maybe we will find discover something new with this little experiment?

i wonder what would happen if someone went swimming in the ocean with 4 to 5 month old raw denim instead of doing a 1st wash on them, then let them dry naturally while they were still on you in the sun. I think you would end up with some really nice shit at the end of the day. A nice fade. What if u did this 2 or 3 days in a row. The shrink to fit would most likely come out perfect & i wonder what kind of effect the salt water would have on the material.

sarlo-much respect. this is hopefully going to turn out really interestingly.

I wonder though, if you happen to have some more jeans lying around to experiment with, how a pair would turn out if you buried them all crumpled so that certain parts get more exposure etc etc etc

some one should piss on their raw jeans and let the piss dry into the denim then do their 1st wash. I bet you'd get a sick "piss over wash" what would you call it?

Pissycombes?

Pissovers.

"yeah my pissovers are really commin out now, 1st piss right before my 1st cold wash. 2nd through 4th piss after my second wash and now a 5th piss after 12 months after a 5th wash. Yeah my APC's are commin in real nice, the piss over looks pretty sweet over the honeycombes and thighs. They're really starting to show now."

some one should piss on their raw jeans and let the piss dry into the denim then do their 1st wash. I bet you'd get a sick "piss over wash" what would you call it?

maybe the people here would feel your idea.

i really hope no one from sf posts there, that would be disturbing

Isn't there a thread that links to an article on indigo dyeing that specifically refers to the use of urea?

well, making a fermentation vat is one of the steps in natural indigo dyeing. this can be done using urine. i am not sure what kind of urine gives the best results.

those pics are great, they are so meticulously planned. It almost looks like you put a hit out on those jeans. Cause no one disrespects the family.