Atari

from the glossary on denim-gallery.heavy.jp

ATARI

In case of the jeans, being able to rub, the part which becomes white or the part which could be rubbed white it is the contrast of the part which remains densely.

It is used widely from fiber industry to old clothes industry.

i've asked this numerous times on different forums, but no help. so here's a thread.

help a noobjunkie out-----------i STILL have no idea what this means

i got it!!! ok... atari is the fading that happens due to the stress placed on the fabric when it is consistantly held in a convex state. feel your belt loops, they are raised in the center and held there by stitching. even tho there is little abarsion there they fade.

I was reading that saying, 'atari' in the game GO, was the quivalent of saying, 'check' in chess.

I still think Atari means sharp-contrast fading.

Creases help achieve that, as the peaks of the creases are exposed more often, as well as the thread is stretched out and more open to losing indigo. Also, the decreased surface area means a greater concentration of friction in one spot.

Whether or not you have creases, your jeans will still fade. If you wash your jeans more often, then those creases won't stick around, or appear in the same spots, and so the fade will be constant over the entire jean, as opposed to being more 'characterized' to your body.

• 1 year later...
^^^ in the same way, "atari" can be used like, "BINGO!"

so if someone guesses something right, you can say, "ATARI!"

but it's pronounced very different from the game console.

atari comes from ataru, which means "to connect" or "to hit".

how is the pronounciation diffferent ... atari vs Atari?