Is evisu overcharging their jeans?

donkaiser

Why the cheapest pair of EVISU cost like $200 to $300? They are made in HK and not in JAPAN and they cost double the price of other JAP repro made in japan. labor cost should be cheaper. and those paint in the back, i don't think they are hand painted anymore. so what is the difference between EVISU and other japanese jeans maker?

Hype outside of Japan.

I think companies go through a natural evolution.

Small in the beginning, with attention to detail and quality and innovation.

Build a small cult following, continue to deliver quality.

Blow up, make a lot of money, expand.

Cut back on quality, innovation to increase profits, relying on their past reputation to sell product.

i.e. Evisu, Levi's, hmmm...who else?

no no you mistake their intentions. no company deserves to do whatever they want. they've sued toyo corp (sugar cane) for copyright violations, if i'm not mistaken, and that is simply no good from a denim lover's point of view.

and anyway didn't keynes say that competition is good, more competition is better? even the oldest denim brand in the world should be made to work for their sales.

Guest Berget__
Quote:

Why the cheapest pair of EVISU cost like $200 to $300? They are made in HK and not in JAPAN and they cost double the price of other JAP repro made in japan. labor cost should be cheaper. and those paint in the back, i don't think they are hand painted anymore. so what is the difference between EVISU and other japanese jeans maker?

--- Original message by donkaiser on Jun 17, 2006 12:13 AM

Isn't the japanese Evisu's (eg sold on rakuten) Still made in Japan? And i think that some of them still has handpainted gulls.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A//www.rakuten.co.jp/kobori/153170/199303/

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Japanese Evisu are still made in Japan and they are still handpainted. But I think the Heritage Collection Evisu jeans that is made in HK is the same quality, if not better, than the No.2 denim that is used in the Japanese Evisu. Some of the higher end heritage collection actually has better quality denim than No.1 denim. It's just, they aren't handpainted, but they do have more interesting designs since they aren't handpainted.

Edited by Raw Selvedge on Jun 17, 2006 at 05:27 AM

Quote:

no no you mistake their intentions. no company deserves to do whatever they want. they've sued toyo corp (sugar cane) for copyright violations, if i'm not mistaken, and that is simply no good from a denim lover's point of view.

and anyway didn't keynes say that competition is good, more competition is better? even the oldest denim brand in the world should be made to work for their sales.

--- Original message by tweedlesinpink on Jun 17, 2006 01:51 AM

The suit with Toyo is over arcuate and red tab copyright infringement, right? If Toyo (and others for that matter) stopped with that kind of easy to fix stuff, they could still make top quality jeans.