newbie jean fit

lifeup

hi i'm new to raw denim and i've always been wearing jeans a bit loose, well loose enough that i have to use a belt or they sag. I'm getting some raw STF's, and this time my ACTUAL size (no size up because they apparently stretch back?)

The problem is, i'm not so sure what my actual size is....I measured my waist and it measured 30.5.

Should I get a waist 30 assuming it will stretch in STF or play it safe and get 31? I plan on cold soaking them.

loose, non fitting jeans are really annoying me

Welcome man. I'd say go with the 30. They might be just a little tight at first, but I guarantee you that they will stretch, ALOT. My neighbor who is a 32" purchased a 31". He said they were tight at first.About a week or two later he was able to slide them on and off without un-buttoning the buttons. Wait........damnit I didn't see the part about you cold soaking them. Ah, forget what I just put and go up a size in waist and length.

EMAIL: [email protected]

AIM: Friskobae

thanks johnxjames

i've actually been searching up other threads about stf shrinkage and peeps are saying different things! jkasljfkdal this is so confusing

"walletboy: For what it's worth, my experience is a little different. Since they run slightly big in the waste, I buy my correct size. I wear 34 and I'd buy a 34. When you wash it eventually, it might shrink half an inch to three-quarters of an inch, but will pretty much stretch back to the right size in the waist after you wear it for a day or two, even if you wear them them dry. However, you definitely need to buy three or more inches longer in the legs, because the inseam doesn't stretch back."

"justbrowsing:i'd definitely have to disagree with jetta, and agree with walletboy. they are actually cut bigger than preshrunk 501s. i thought my idea of getting my size in preshrunks and then going 1" higher in the waist would work well, but they're actually much too loose in the waist now."

???

so i'm getting waist 30, they shrink to 29ish, then stretch out to 30 and moreeee??????? thats the question. Hopefully the max shrink is 31?

and sorry for all this hassle but i'm so sick of pointy butts and belts and fatty thighs in STFs

Well there always seems to be some people that disagree with me and feel the SHRINK to fits dont shrink, that has never been how it worked for me.

from Levis:

For best fit, Levi recommends adding 1" for waist sizes 29-35 and 2" for waist sizes 36-44. Add 3" for inseams 30-34. If you wear boots, add another inch to your inseam.

Decipher as you please.

If a cold soak doesnt get them small enough, a hot soak will shrink them more. Indigo is not water solluable, so no, a hot soak will not make them lose more indigo.

hmm good point jetta

but do u think levi's instructions account for the extra stretching after the shrink, as most people here who wear raw denim wear them for months without wash? My first stf was waist 33, and after the wash, it didn't shrink nearly as close to my other 32 jeans.

Also a nice contrast is desirable, so if its too big, a cold soak and then another extra hot soak? That would disturb the contrast and sheen huh