wearing jeans under other pants (scrubs?)

justbrowsing

i'm starting residency next week, and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience wearing jeans under other pants. i'd like to continue wearing my jeans a lot during the next year, but i can't wear jeans in the hospital, so i'd like to wear them under my scrubs. any caveats i should know about? if anything i would imaging having loose pants like scrubs over tight jeans would increase fading by having the fabrics rub against each other. am i wrong?

Awesome haha, i was worried about how i would keep wearing my jeans in med school and residency. Do IT and let me know how it goes. I don't know though, one of my attractions to medicine is that you're allowed to wear PJ's to work, wearing jeans under your pants kills that aspect for me icon_smile_big.gif

Quote:

That sounds like a bad idea. There are tons of bugs floating around the hospital, more so than outside the hospital. I can't imagine not washing anything after working with sick people.icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

--- Original message by digital_denim on Jun 13, 2006 10:33 AM

I used to work in an emergency room and the people there hardly ever got sick...big handwashers these guys, plus..they must have unbelieveble antibodies in their systems, besides...UNDER the scrubs would keep them fairly clean no?

I wore a pair under jogging pants as a test to keep them clean but get wear n tear .

BAGGY jogging pants and yes it works just fine . Sometimes I had to pull the rear of knee away from my leg ( saving the honeycombs effort )

I don't think it will work. Here's my theory -- the fading comes from rubbing/friction that you pick up unconsciously all day long, from your other clothes, your hands, things that briefly brush past it (doors, chairs, curtains etc). By wearing them under your scrubs, you are essentially putting on a second skin over it. For the most part, each square inch of denim will be covered by the same square inch of scrub material, there will be minimal to no rubbing, scraping, brushing and therefore no indigo rubbed off. Second, because they will be confined to a compressed space, you have the potential to develop wrinkles and creases in all sorts of odd places instead of the natural whisker and honeycomb areas and in different orientations. I don't think you will get nice contrasts wearing them under your scrubs.

Secondly, I'd second the post-er who mentioned the sterility of doing such a thing. I don't know where you're doing your residency but if you're going to be wearing scrubs already, I'm guessing you'll be in the OR for surgery? (or worse, ObGyn, eck!!) During this past internship year (prelim for Anesthesia) I wore my jeans on the floor on call-days because my hospital was a little more relaxed about the dress code for call-days. Also during my ER months and during my clinic months I wore jeans every day because I was doing "light Medicine work" -- anyone who knows how Internal Medicine works knows there isn't much "real" hard, down and dirty manual labor as there is A LOT of phone calling, note writing etc. (I wasn't doing ER work in the ER either, I was doing admissions) If you're going to be in the OR like I will be next month, I think it's impossible to wear jeans. I certainly didn't wear them during my intensive care unit months that involved a lot of "real" work -- putting in central lines and getting blood splattered all over me.

Good luck on starting the most humiliating, most exhausting, most abusive year of your life. Just think, if you can survive the 365 days of this ridiculous hazing ritual without killing yourself or someone else you will be a free man again! I've got 3 left myself. Maybe I'll reward myself with a pair of Pure Blue Japans...

at work I wear a pair of white overalls over my street clothes. i picked up some nudies off SF a while back (stitching already removed, by-the-by). after a few days, the interior of the overalls were BLUE. and it is true, the fading effect will not take on the more classical contours that you see from posters to this site, but rather take place in different areas...however, i don't think the effect is THAT different, and they still look normal. the stress point where the garments meet are basically the same: knees, rear end, across the lap, cuffs.

it's a prelim medicine year, so no blood splattering except for the 2 unit months. i don't agree with you regarding your second point in your first paragraph: why would wearing a -very- light and flimsy pair of loose scrubs cause my jeans to wrinkle differently? the jeans are definitely tighter than my scrubs, and if anything, i think the scrub material would conform to the jean material, since the denim is much stiffer. any thoughts?