1870 Levis Repro

vivaloschet

Interesting historical guesswork. Good price too. But the denim looks poor to me, should ideally be natural indigo and unbleached cotton, and I'm not convinced by the detailing. Does make me wish Leiv's would hurrry up & reissue their 1880s jeans again.

Good for them for making the jeans in Texas, altho LVC jeans are still made in the US, albeit in a contractor's factory.

heres the email i got from them:

We do have intentions on reproducing the 1873 style (after Levi became involved), but what we've made so far are actually our attempt at the Davis product, pre-Levi.

1. Where is the denim sourced from?

USA

2. What is the weight of the denim used?

9 oz., although there is argument on whether Davis & Strauss used 8 oz. or 9 oz. at that point in time.

3. Do you use selvage denim?

Yes, on some. You can specify if you want the selvedge outseam or the french outseam. We did both.

4. The originals were natural plant indigo. Are these, or do you use synthetic indigo dye?

Synthetic indigo on the warp threads.

5. Do you make a smaller size than 32 waist?

Only 30W. Which we're out of at the moment

shit...

I bought a pair similar to those when Levis began reissuing them - must have been 1999? I bought them at American Classics on the King's Road. They were terrible quality - the cinchback broke after about 2 weeks. Took them back and exchanged them for a pair of Snopants and never looked back.