wanted.. FIXED GEAR or ROADBIKE.

partytaco,

part of the reason is because of the aesthetics,

its a barebones bike, simple and clean/.

no cables, gears, grips in some cases, etc...

makes it more of a man/machine bike,

where its all powered and stopped by a single persons force,

not with the help of other components,

also its much more more of a workout then having gears,

since youre peddling all the time.

grimey retarded

its better for use in they city. you hitch when mobbin hills, and since your peddling nonstop you build immense leg muscle and cars dont have a chance with you in the city, plus with no breaks it pushs you to be more aware and quick. fixed gear for life. gears are for bike jocks and school girls.

. knuckleheads .

"cars don't have a chance?" no not at all. i can see how a ton and a half of steel with 200plus hp wouldn't have a chance against a 12lb bike with a 160lb non-meat eating rider.

"fixed gear for life" and it was mountain bike for life laste year and before that skate for life and before that 10 speed for life and before that bmx for life, etc..... next year it'll be segway for life.

buy yourself some breaks and get a couple gears and maybe a bag of weed and a steak. all those things make life just a little more fun.

Guest jeffvyain

having issues with stopping hardly sounds like a good idea in a city...or really period. i can see the aesthetic value, but there has to be some sort of balance between aesthetics and practicality. you're asking for an injury

Fixies are not practical for most people unless of course you're riding on a track or if you're a bike messenger or just someone who really loves to ride fixed.

-riding fixed makes you more aware of the traffic around you

-riding without brakes doesn't mean that you can't stop

-pedalling more makes you a better cyclist

-brakes cause you to waste energy and it breaks your rhythm to stop all the time

-fixie makes it safer to ride in traffic because you are more alert

-riding fixed wheel for fashion is stupid.. you'll notice however that people who just want to ride single speed because it's trendy use a front brake and don't ride it fixed.

-when you ride a fixed bike it feels like the bike is an extension of yourself and your movements are directly linked to what the bike is doing in the road

Fixies are not practical for most people unless of course you're riding on a track or if you're a bike messenger or just someone who really loves to ride fixed.

-riding fixed makes you more aware of the traffic around you

-riding without brakes doesn't mean that you can't stop

-pedalling more makes you a better cyclist

-brakes cause you to waste energy and it breaks your rhythm to stop all the time

-fixie makes it safer to ride in traffic because you are more alert

-riding fixed wheel for fashion is stupid.. you'll notice however that people who just want to ride single speed because it's trendy use a front brake and don't ride it fixed.

-when you ride a fixed bike it feels like the bike is an extension of yourself and your movements are directly linked to what the bike is doing in the road

i worked as a messenger for 3 years.

riding a fixie is a lot of fun, and being able to control not just your acceleration but your deceleration by adjusting your cadence is seriously empowering - it's really an amazing melding of man and machine, with almost instantaneous response time from physical input to mechanical output. that all presupposes that your bike is dialed and that you, as a rider, have a clue. i've seen countless idiots on track bikes to score cool points come inches from seriously hurting themselves or someone else.

personally, even though i'm super comfortable on track bikes, i'd never ride one without at least a front brake for emergencies. cadence braking and skid-stopping are fine for most situations, but riding in the city you probably need some backup...

in a city setting, it is very beneficial if only for the reason it makes you pay attention. your mind is always 50 feet ahead while your body just kind of picks up the pace. you're much more of a conscious rider. for super tight traffic like in SF or NYC, a brake makes sense. riding a freewheel in NYC will also let you skitch way easier and faster.

if this is your first build, the cheapest, yet relatively decent quality bulid would probably be an old lugged road frame, shimano 170mm 600 cranks/107 bb (easily found on ebay), izumi eco chain (ebay), MKS sylvan pedals/cages/straps, no name post, cheap saddle, any road stem + bars, with an IRO or formula wheelset (either ebay, chucksbikes.com, irocycle.com) .... its either that or buying a bianchi pista or khs flite100.

good thing about building it, you can try out your friend's shit and buy what you like vs having to replace stuff on the KHS almost immediately. i've had my bike for 3 years and i'm still switching out stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

no offense, but stop thinking about this on your own, because you don't seem to know what you're talking about. the only reason you should be thinking about shorter cranks is if you're converting a road frame to a fixed gear and the bottom bracket height is too low... buying 160mm cranks is not going to change the fact that the frame is too big for you. find a consignment and/or used bike shop with mechanics that you trust, let them know what you're looking for, and wait for the phone call saying "hey, we got something in about your size."

new or used? i like some of the older steel-framed fujis from the 80s and early 90s. you can definitely pick one up cheap, too...

in general, if you have less than ~$1000 to spend on a bike, buy something that's 5 years old and gently used. it'll blow away an off-the-rack fuji (or specialized or giant or cannondale etc. etc.).

I picked up a Fuji Newest 1.0 from a local bike shop in Portland around Christmas time this year. just over $800 with Tiagra components up front and 105 in the back.

It's been an awesome bike thus far. I'm no Lance so I have no complaints. It's light and quick and great for getting around town. I could give a fuck about single speeds.

I'll agree with the fellow Portlander here and say that if you can find something that's gently used, you're going to get a better bike with better components.

Or sometimes small shops have old frames lying around, they'll build you something with much nicer components than if you were to pick something up off the rack.