b_F's Big Samurai Fit Guide

SO I'm back. Not sure if I really can set up a Top5 but I'l name some models that are very special to me:

1. The S0500XX. Mostly for the perfect, modern look. Also the Texas Cotton denim is great but not my favorite denim from Samurai.

2. The S5000VX. A real classic from Samurai with the infamous Zero denim. The fit is great and versatile. You can add the S5000BK also here as a interesting black jeans (everybody should own one pair of black jeans)

3. S3000VX. It's a great interpretation of the WWII Levi's with a big Samurai vibe in it. Nice eye on the details. The denim is, as said above great. I planned to take some macros of the 3 VX denims I own.

4. Of course the S710 has to be named as probably the most widespread Samurai for the customers overseas. A modern, slim fit with the 19oz denim that has shown often enough its crazy fading potential. I have yet to own a pair with the right sizing but I'll take that step next year (I plan to go TTS, size 35)

5. You can't do a Top5 without listing the S510 cut. The cut where it mostly started from. If size right, you shouldn't fear the anti-fit and fuller legs. As I said the Texas Cotton denim is not my favorite one (especially since Lot.12 where it got smoother and less irregular), I have to decide between the 19oz and 21oz . I guess my vote goes for the 21oz as the denim breaks in nicely and rather fast, and because the 21oz version also features contrast arcs I really love :)

What went wrong with your last pair of 710's, if I may ask? the fit on the photo is exactly the one I would be going for, ideally, and the measurements seemed good too (only thing I'd be worried about are the thighs). Did they end up shrinking further?

on that pic they only were soaked once and not really washed. the 19oz denim is known for its further shrinkage with the first washes. and the fit is a tad too slim for my liking. so the shrinkage which was left in that pair would have made them unwearable. especially in the thighs and butt

• 1 month later...
Guest rusholmeruffian
on that pic they only were soaked once and not really washed. the 19oz denim is known for its further shrinkage with the first washes. and the fit is a tad too slim for my liking. so the shrinkage which was left in that pair would have made them unwearable. especially in the thighs and butt

Those s510 I posted yesterday did not shrink much on first lukewarm soak. Will they shrink again a few times or should I raise the temp ?

Cheers

Those s510 I posted yesterday did not shrink much on first lukewarm soak. Will they shrink again a few times or should I raise the temp ?

Cheers

I always get the hottest tap water soak for 30mins, air dry then do the same again, after a few months of wearing I wash in the machine inside out and stop soaking to wash them

No problem.

I have to say it was quite hard to capture the true color of the outside. The pics make them look very greyish. I like the pics of the weft better :)

You have to touch and try them out before you can make a final decision ;)

@rusholmeruffian: answered your question in the regular Samurai-thread

• 1 month later...

Very educated information BF, like it :D

I have one question to ask,

Iam getting unsanforized samurai denim, do you have any advise to soak it, so when it shrink it can fit just well on me? I have heard that i have to actually wear them during the soaking and take it off when its dry, is that true? :D

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I have updated the first post with coleslawyum's little summary of "things you should know".

I don't know when and if there will be a new addition to the fit guide.

There are plenty of cuts/models left out there but none is really convincing me at the moment (maybe the S0110XJ in old Jins denim would).

• 5 weeks later...

hey BF, if you were to buy some of these jeans in more current Lot #s, do you think you'd still only size down one? It looks like for several of these cuts, the newer Lots would never shrink down to 32 or so in the waist. Or would you strictly use the rise/thigh measurements and still go with SD1?

I'd still go with SD1. If I would think about going to size down 2 or more to get the fit I want, I would really ask myself if I'm looking at the right cut. The designer has an imagine of how it should look like. If TTS or even SD1 doesn't give you the right fit, you are looking at the wrong jeans.

edit: I didn't encounter a problem of a too big waist in the later lot#. From my experience you will hit the tagged size with washes (depends also on the model though)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

• 2 months later...

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but it's pretty useless to discuss sizing on a pair that isn't even produced yet and won't be out until June/July.

But from my personal experience, I would assume they would shrink from tag size (like most of the heavier Samurai jeans)

• 1 year later...

Bumping a great thread -- thanks for all the information and pictures.

I'm about the same size (6'0", 178 pounds) as you beautiful_FrEak but am looking at larger waist sizes (36), thinking they'll shrink down from about 37 to 35".  I prefer the longer rises (11.75 - 12+) and room in the butt but could go either way on a straight vs. tapered leg.  At this point, I'm leaning toward the S710XX but am also considering the 5000, 510, and 500.  Suggestions appreciated.

I don't own any Samurais yet, but am really looking forward to a pair or two.  Current jeans include 3Sixteen+ 21BSP (36), Iron Heart 633s (36), Iron Heart 634S (34x34), and Raw Bones/Self Edge (34x34).

Thanks.

John

Keep in mind that Samurai offers size 35 as well, sounds more like your size. If you want a roomy fit with long rise, the 510 or 0500 would be the better cut compared to the 710. There's not that much room in the thigh or butt area.

Thanks Max -- good points.  What I've done in the past is buy a tapered jean in size 36 (e.g., 3Sixteen+ 21BSP), which gives me ample room in the butt and thigh (and a longer rise), but sometimes a little too much in the waist.  This was my thought on the 0710XX in 36 -- tapered jean, slightly large.

If I go with a 35 (nice that Samurai offers this), I can see how the 500 or 510 would be more comfortable -- especially since my nickname in high school was 'cannonball ass', which really was not fair ;-)

Interesting comparing the 500 and 510 in size 35 -- the 500 has the bigger waist (37 vs. 36) but the 510 has the longer rise (12 vs. 11.5) and significantly more room all the way down.  I like the 510's long rise but wonder if it will be too spacious below the knee.  You can see I'm new to this ...

John

• 1 year later...