Anyone have good food recipes to share?

greentea

Normally I'm all over Asian food, but I've been experimenting with these organic Lemons that I bought up cheap last year one weekend when I was bored and preserved in salt and olive oil with herbs. Busted an absolutely mad gorgeous Chicken thing with saffron and caramelised onions that I'll post if you want. Serve it up with rice, bread or steamed couscous/quinoa. HMnn ... Lemons ...

Quote:

Normally I'm all over Asian food, but I've been experimenting with these organic Lemons that I bought up cheap last year one weekend when I was bored and preserved in salt and olive oil with herbs. Busted an absolutely mad gorgeous Chicken thing with saffron and caramelised onions that I'll post if you want. Serve it up with rice, bread or steamed couscous/quinoa. HMnn ... Lemons ...

--- Original message by sybaritical on Jun 1, 2006 03:40 PM

Damn syb, that sounds ill!! Whats the recipe,son?

Quote:

--- Original message by sybaritical on Jun 1, 2006 03:40 PM

wow,good tip,preserving lemon in oil. definately could be used in chicken recipes. wow saffron and caramelised onions. ill definately try that .

Ok.Here goes. But I've got to admit that posting recipes on a leadingworldwidefashionforum feels absolutly and definitely very wrong somehow.

Preserved lemons:

Organic unwaxed lemons.

Coarse sea salt.

A couple of cinnamon sticks.

A couple teaspoons coriander seeds.

A few black peppercorns.

A couple of bay leaves.

The best Olive oil you can afford.

Wash and quarter the lemons without cutting them all the way through. Individually hold them all open and fill them with 2tsp of coarse sea salt, then close it and stick it in a sterilized airtight jar. whack a weight on top of them and leave them on your boiler for a couple of days so the juices run out. When that's done, remove the weight, add the herbs and enough fresh lemon juice to cover the lemons completely and then a layer of oil on top. They'll be done on about a month, but the longer you leave them the better they get.

You can slice them up thin, too, if you prefer. I've done it that way as welland added a bunch of chiles to spike themup a bit. Haven't started them yet.

Chicken onion saffron thing :

Chicken breasts

Onions

Half tsp Turmeric

225ml chicken stock

Half tsp saffron

Green cracked olives

Marinade:

1 Preserved lemon

6 crushed garlic cloves

1 tsp ground ginger

Half tsp each, cumin, paprika and cayenne.

Olive oil

+ a bit of lemon infused oil from your jar of preserved lemons.

take the flesh out oof the lemon and chop it up. Keep the rind for later. Mix the flesh with all the other ingredients. Rub it all over the chicken then cover and leave it in the fridge overnight, turning every so often.

When you're ready, quickly brown your chicken in olive oil in a shallow ovenproof pan, then remove the chicken and stick it on the side for later. In the same pan, soften the onions then add the turmeric and continue to cook for a moment. While you're doing that, bring the stock up to the boil and dissolve the saffron in it, then add it to the pan, along with your chicken. Preheat your oven to 180 and cook it all for half an hour, adding the cracked olives and thin sliced lemon rinds halfway through. Scatter it with Parsley or coriander and serve it with rice, couscous or quinoa and you can't go wrong. Believe.

sugar, are you kosher/halaal/vegeterian?that's the first thing ...heres one that can be defined as a zulu-white trash french dish...tripe quiche.

it's easy really ,instead of adding the usual bacon e.t.c try adding some tripe or the meat and eyes from a sheep's head[note:don't burst the eyes as that would hinder coagulation].

add herbs,lemon rind[grated] of your choice according to what theme the party is.the eggs should always be organic.bon appetit sugar

• 1 year later...

Jasmine Poached Apples (but I usually use pears instead)

Ingredients

• 4 bags of jasmine tea
  • 2.5 cups of boiling water
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • Juice from half a large grapefruit
  • 1/2 tspn. of grapefruit zest (I like the smell of the zest, so I used more)
  • 2 firm sweet apples

Directions

1. Steep teabags for 3-4 minutes (this is SUPER important, as you don't want it to get bitter)
  2. Put liquid into a saucepan and add sugar, juice, and zest. Simmer for 2 minutes on low heat.
  3. Peel, core, and cut apples into quarter inch slices.
  4. Add slices immediately to mixture to prevent browning,
  5. Cook over low heat until slices are translucent. The water should steam, but never come to a full boil.
  6. Remove the slice and keep the remaining mixture over low heat until it reduces at least by half.
  7. Pour over apples and serve warm or chilled.

What I love about this recipe is that it's only mildly sweetened and you can do pretty much anything you want with the fruit/syrup mixture. It's great chilled or warm on top of ice cream or you can just eat the fruit by itself.

Zest is taken from the rind of the fruit you're using. The outer skin. It's packed with all sorts of oils and other stuff. If you're going to use it buy unwaxed fruit and take it off finely with a potato peeler or zester, and avoid digging too deep and hitting the white pith, which is bitter.

Does anyone have a perfect vinaigrette recipe? Something light and not herbed. I have been using 1/2 cup canola oil/2TBSp lemon juice+white wine vinegar each/1/4tsp dry mustard, salt, pepper each, which has been good, but tweaking it leaves something to be desired; olive oil is too heavy for that mixture, but the canola is a bit light and doesn't make a thick enough emulsion to last through a big salad.

Guest jmatsu
Is that two steps, marinate in oyster then in mustarad or you mix the two? I want to do this right.

it doesnt' really matter, but i'd mix both first.

1. Get fresh mozzarella

2. Get good vinaigarette

3. Get basil + your favorite herbs/leafy greens

4. Get favorite toppings (pine nuts, sesame seeds, etc)

5. Get fresh tomato and slice it

6. Mix everything together

7. Eat it

Fresher/better ingredients = better taste, of course