Denim Magazine List

42 Somet

Proud Japanese crafts launched into the rest of the world.

"Somet" means dye in Japanese. Using outstanding Japanese dying techniques, especially Japanese denims utilizing the indigo dying techniques, Somet is setting an example of fashion to the rest of the world. They are making noise with original ideas, such as buttons with chrysanthemum patterns.

(Sorry to sound brief, but that's pretty much what it says. I guess it wasn't a denim very well known yet, at the time. -chick)

Quote:

what's really funny about somet is that it seems like japan's attempt to repro euro-style denim.

for instance, the word for "dye" is not "somet," but "so-me" (pronounced, "so-may"). the only way to make "somet" sound like "some" is to pronounce it in french--giving it a real european touch.

--- Original message by mizanation on Jun 9, 2006 08:25 AM

not sure about their desire to reproduce euro-style denim, but the brand is certainly spelled SOMÉT (with the accent on the E)... pronunciation aid + a little euro flair?

Quote:

Just thought I'd add these. They were the first two pages in the magazine. No captions to explain further.

indigoroll8os.jpg

untitledscanned025gc.jpg

--- Original message by digital_denim on Jun 2, 2006 03:39 PM

Second pic looks like the roving process at a mill doing ring spun. The white materials are slivers of cotton that will be spun into yarn. The roving looks thick but are actually not very strong.

I haven't actually witnessed this in person but look forward to in the future. For now just going by my research materials...

43 Samurai Jeans

A popular brand making noise on the internet

Samurai Jeans started sales on the internet in 1998 under the concept, "There's no value in jeans unless the concerns of the creator and the user are the same." They are creating playful original products without losing vintage flavors.

(Kind of makes sense people here have had good experience dealing with them even ordering from abroad.)

Quote:

43 Samurai Jeans

A popular brand making noise on the internet

Samurai Jeans started sales on the internet in 1998 under the concept, "There's no value in jeans unless the concerns of the creator and the user are the same." They are creating playful original products without losing vintage flavors.

(Kind of makes sense people here have had good experience dealing with them even ordering from abroad.)

--- Original message by Chicken on Jun 9, 2006 07:46 PM

deeep! samurai jeans has a philosophical core beneath the quirky designs.

Okay, another one:

40 Eternal

Pursuing the expression called "reality"

Its high quality is gaining praises everywhere

Eternal is a brand centered around the indigo dye products created by Bichyuukurashikikoubou(?) located in Okayama prefecture, a place known as the capital of Japanese denim manufacturing. This is a long standing brand, and their more traditional Japanese products are way ahead of other manufacturers, yet it still keeps evolving, too. When it comes to denim, they are thoroughly pursuing the deepness of indigo blue, vertical fading, and defined whiskers. Their distressed jeans are very popular among jeans-lovers.

• 2 weeks later...
02 Evisu

Huge hit in Europe. Appeal with hipness.

The one and only originals reflect Hidehiko Yamane's uniqueness.

Evisu, known for their painted gulls, is getting a lot of hype in Europe. As if to ridicule other brands who were faithfully reproducing vintage denim, they have been releasing products full of originality since their debut in '91. It is well known that unique jeans reflecting Yamane's idea of vintage-ness has already influenced European designers. It can be said that they are the instigators of the current denim-craze.

If thats hep count me out. To me those are some butt-ugly jeans....Can't take those wings.

• 1 month later...

ooops, i guess i missed this one before. here you go, just in case some people are interested:

19 Edwin

A Japanese denim big that's steadily creative.

Others cannot catch up to their pre-distressed jeans.

This is an experienced company that has been making jeans since '61, the early days of domestic (Japanese) jeans. In the past, they have created trend-conscious designs and washes including London Basic which was supported overseas, International Basic, 503, 505 and E-Function Series. Recently, they've also been leading the Japanese jeans scene with vintage-flavored denims. They are respected at the international level, especially when it comes to their pre-distressed jeans.

It's available in take 5.

I already bough one.

You can find it on ebay... last week some hongkong guys was selling that book for 49 usd!!! 真他妈贵啊!!!!!now the price is cheaper 35 usd....还是夸张的要命。。。

here are the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Denim-Book-LEVIS-LEE-WRANGLER-EVISU-Jeans-Bible_W0QQitemZ170014644832QQihZ007QQcategoryZ616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

enjoy it...

If anyone is interested; maybe I can help..

I'm going to take 5 on this saturday...

But it‘s often out of stock..I warned you.

and I may be wrong but the price is not 950 yen in japan as it was written on this thread...

If the seller in take 5 is not kidding with me, you must add 10% taxe at this price to buy it in japan...950+税says the book...我以为你会看日语。。。

Ah buisness, buisness quand tu nous tient....

^ dude $50?!!!!

That's more than five times the original price. What a fucking rip-off. Tax in Japan is 5%, so even with tax, it's still ¥998. That would be less than $10 still. Thus even $30 would be a rip-off.

I know people are dropping some crazy money on David Little book because that one is out of print. This one just went into print. $50 is a pure insult.