SOMET Denim

snugglepony

heads up, superfriends:

i just bit the bullet and ordered a pair of SOMETs in raw black selvage. t-shirt sales were off the nut last month, so i've got some bonus money to spend...

you thought getting some imperials was challenging? while the SOMET guys are very quick to respond to emails, are very helpful about sizing, and speak remarkably good english, well, you have pay via a wire transfer to their bank account.

hello paperwork! hello shit-tons of fees!

all signs point to these jeans being worth the effort/cost, however.

rest assured i'll post copious amounts of pictures when they arrive, probs by the middle of next week...

ddml:

to find the black model on their site, click on "power push" (hunh? i know...) from the menu in the upper left. the black model, along with an indigo model made from a heavier denim (14.5oz instead of 13.8oz), are in there.

watch for a PM with final cost breakdown (it's going to hurt me just to type it...).

great, this thread was started....

i was asking about these on ryu's thread about jeans, but nobody responded...

so i was actually thinking about starting a somet thread, too...

yes, these do look perfect and amazing.

must. buy. soon. so. nice.

xcoldricex, are they hard to come by even in japan?

verver- they shouldn't be. they're sold at ships which has a bunch of stores.

the pricing will be around what the OP paid- maybe a few bucks less because the fees I have to include in the price out are pretty similar to his (lower exchange rate, paypal, ems shipping, tax, etc.). but it might be less of a hassle to order through me than to try doing it yourself and doing the bank transfer. but whatever works. i have to locate them first.

pony,

i'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of your somet's, so that i can see some pics!

thanks for the info, and of course, the offer for your outstanding service, xcoldricex, but i'm going to japan for vaca end of june, so i hope to get some there. the store is called ship?

Quote:

pony,

i'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of your somet's, so that i can see some pics!

--- Original message by verver on May 25, 2006 03:01 PM

bit of a hiccup in the wire tranfer, but everything's on track again. probably won't see them till next week, though... pics as soon as i get 'em.

Edited by snugglepony on May 30, 2006 at 12:30 PM

okay... here we go:

packaging

1.JPG

card with...

2.JPG

nice note...

3.JPG

and a nice gift.

4.JPG

front

5.JPG

back

6.JPG

lap

7.JPG

seat

8.JPG

hidden rivets, donut buttons

9.JPG

reversed button placket (weft-side out)

10.JPG

5th pocket selvage

11.JPG

nice, thick white leather patch

12.JPG

single-stitched back pockets

13.JPG

back pockets are lined on the lower half, hence the black stitch line

14.JPG

narrow, black selvage

15.JPG

basically, the fit is amazing. rise is in between my bootcut olas and new standards - low, but not super-low...

feel free to ask any questions!

hey chicken-

the somets are pretty stiff on arrival. the denim is just under 14 oz (EDIT - actually, it's 13 oz), so it's fairly heavy. the denim is quite slubby, but it's a pretty fine weave and so is not extraordinarily rough.

Edited by snugglepony on Jun 5, 2006 at 10:19 AM

I LOVE that cut. Almost exactly what I've been looking for, low, but not too low, black, heavy selvage, very nice find and extra points for having the cajones to order direct. Mind telling how much these cost in Japan?

My single question is, did the soak cause that patch to get nasty? How do you plan to take care of that snow white patch? I'd seen Somets before and kept wondering...

greentea: yep. toiletry bag.

minya: they're not sanforized, so i've planned on a little shrinkage in length. i had somet hem them to 87cm and i'm expecting to lose two or so post soak. i haven't had a chance to measure them yet, though.

LFC4ever: they're a slim, straight cut with a relatively low rise. the leg is cut pretty close to a new standard - sans the slight taper at the bottom of the NS. the somet guys are really helpful in choosing sizes - they'll have you do all sorts of measurements prior to ordering. i bought a 31, and for reference, i wear a 30 in APC, 32 in imperial, 32 in nudie.

ddml: i'll take photo requests - let me know what you'd like to see.

dismalfuture: the tags said 23,100 JPY, i believe, so i imagine you could find them for around that if you were in japan. the patch came out of the soak just fine. i won't be washing them very often, so i don't imagine it will become an issue.

Excellent thanks for your response, I just ordered a w35 from xcoldricex and I'm a w34 in New Standard and w36 in Regular Ralfs so they should be perfect.Also the fact they're raw gives some flexibility.

Couldn't access the website main even after downloading the plug in - maybe it's cos I use a Mac so I couldn't check the sizing table?

Also w35 was the biggest i could find.

Quote:

Excellent thanks for your response, I just ordered a w35 from xcoldricex and I'm a w34 in New Standard and w36 in Regular Ralfs so they should be perfect.Also the fact they're raw gives some flexibility.

Couldn't access the website main even after downloading the plug in - maybe it's cos I use a Mac so I couldn't check the sizing table?

Also w35 was the biggest i could find.

--- Original message by LFC4ever on Jun 5, 2006 08:48 AM

yeah, i'm not sure what's up with their site and macs... neither of my macs at home would work with it with ANY browser... had to do all my business from work.

it looks like 35 is the biggest they go, and measurements from the table are:

waist: 95cm

inseam: 92cm

thigh: 36.5cm

knee: 24cm

hem: 23cm