Recommend ways to clean suede

DJ_Flame

I have been continously frustrated by the inability of suede to keep clean. Does anyone know a way to clean them without having to spend on a suede cleaning kit (yes blasphemy I know)

My lovely pairs of Polo suede bluchers and UNLV dunks have a dirt stains on them and this is preventing me from wearing them for the fear of messing them up further. So any help is welcomed.

- Hey Jimmy!

I got this thing, I think it is called a suede brush, for a few buck at the shoe store. It looks almost like an eraser, and cleans very well.

Maybe this is what you are speaking of when you say a cleaning kit.

Edited by HEWSINATOR on May 23, 2006 at 11:46 PM

I use Kiwi suede cleaner and a suede brush/cleaner. As noted above, the cleaner is essentially a huge rubber pencil eraser......I also make sure that when I first buy a pair of new suede shoes I spray them with Kiwi suede protectant. It helps a little and doesn't discolor the suede....

eraser and brush takes care of most stains, but u gonna need the spray too. it will protect ur suede from water damage and such

i use SHOE MAGIK for all my shoes. works on suede, nubuck, leather... whatever. doesn't discolor either. i'm able to purchase worn shoes and make them look like new. it all depends on how you use it. you might see people at the mall trying to sell this stuff at a kiosk and offering to clean one shoe that you're wearing... leaving the other dirty.

sysshadow.gif

5-6_drops_wet_brush_3_2.gif

to clean suede, just apply the cleaner to the wet brush and scrub the stained areas. try to keep the suede fibers loose my constantly scrubbing. dry the area with a terry cloth towel and then brush the suede again to separate the fibers. let it dry for about an hour or so and brush again. it should look like new again.

I've always wondered, if these sprays and such protect suede so well, why don't manufacturers put the solution on the shoes at the factory? I understand it can discolor if over used but that could be accounted for when dyeing the suede.

^^ I guess it would be the same reason as why all clothes don't come with the stain protectant stuff they put on Dockers for instance.........I am sure they want them to get fucked up so you have to buy new ones? I think it is the same reason why they still haven't made a gore-tex/ballistic nylon/kevlar skate shoe..........

It may do the job, but is not even remotely as rigid as a suede brush (think a VERY hard nail brush). How 'tough' is your suede? On my buttery soft Coach boots I actually thought the brush scuffed them up a bit more than I would have liked, you should be okay with the horse brush.

and yeah, erasers aren't all that great in my opinion, they do take some stains off though.