plz recommend Tailor to trim my Jean in NY area

Recently, I got one of those 501 big E retro(raw).

I am quite not satisfied with the length of it.

(I know I should have bought shorter one)

Anyway, I am about to trim it off about couple of inches from the bottom.

I've washed it already, and I think it has reached to maximum shrinkage.

Can you help me out finding a tailor can make bottom hem stitch pretty much look realistic and tight.

thank you very much for attention.

P.S I always appreciate you guys intelligence.

Recently, I got one of those 501 big E retro(raw).

I am quite not satisfied with the length of it.

Anyway, I am about to trim it off about couple of inches from the bottom.

I've washed it already, and I think it has reached to maximum shrinkage.

Can you help me out finding a tailor can make bottom hem stitch pretty much look tight and realistic.

thank you very much for attention.

P.S I always appreciate you guys intelligence.

Ramon Diaz. He's really good, fast and reasonably priced. His place is on Mott Street, just north of Houston. I've only had him do suits, but can't imagine that jeans will present much of a challenge.

By the way, you should ask that he use cotton thread and do a chain stitch. It's more authentic to the original manufacturing methods and will make the hem pucker as the cotton thread shrinks during later washes.

it's funny that it takes a tailor to hem jeans properly. when i lived in asia the seamstresses were able to hem the jeans and then sew the original bottom back on so that they looked original. i had this done for second hand jeans as well as a second hand jean jacket. all this in an hour and for 2 US. and it wasn't in a sweat shop filled with 10 yr olds either, unbelievable how the west makes prices so inflated and so difficult!

the mind's eye glitters with thoughts and ideas for the masses/

i take classes/ to appease the classless/ perhaps its/

counter-revolutionary or counter intelligence/

to understand the situation or take command of the circumstance/

never mind what i say what's done is done/

and when i look down and grin and say it's been fun/

understand that #1 means no #2's i'm the best/

and i will choose to act out in front if you all to put you to the test/

like using a nuke to kill a fly

Ah, but if you really love your jeans you'll want to use the best. He hems suit pants for under $15, so I know a couple of people who go there only for that. Also, since he's been around for a while he's more likely to have a chain stitching machine on premisis.

the seamstresses were able to hem the jeans and then sew the original bottom back on so that they looked original

Are you sure about this? A well hemmed pair of jeans should look exactly the same as a factory fresh pair. The only difference is likely to be the amount of wear seen on the 'peaks' of the puckered material, which comes back after a fairly short period of wear. (There's no difference at all if the jeans are unfaded when hemmed.)

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jan 14, 2005 at 08:59 AM

i am positive, as i said they weren't done on new jeans, they were done on second hand jeans so it was that much more difficult to do since they looked exactly the same as when i got them from the second hand shop. and the seams and threads are tight, 5 yrs after the fact.

i agree that if you spend xx amt on premium denim go the extra mile and get them hemmed right, but paying the most doesn't always get you the best...

the mind's eye glitters with thoughts and ideas for the masses/

i take classes/ to appease the classless/ perhaps its/

counter-revolutionary or counter intelligence/

to understand the situation or take command of the circumstance/

never mind what i say what's done is done/

and when i look down and grin and say it's been fun/

understand that #1 means no #2's i'm the best/

and i will choose to act out in front if you all to put you to the test/

Well, thanks for all replies.

Yeah, whenever I get retro Big E, I have this problem. I really think I shouldn't bother anymore. I went down to Ramon's this morning, appearantly Ramon was not capable of chain stitching.

I don't doubt his skill though, good place to know~ thanks.

Mr shopot.....Next time ask them to cut the hem and save the original factory hem and reaattach. Good tailors should be able to attach that back to your jeans, shorter. If the original threads are concerned. Hope this helps. And chainstitch is good but overrated. As long as they have quality topstitching threads its all primo..

am positive, as i said they weren't done on new jeans, they were done on second hand jeans so it was that much more difficult to do since they looked exactly the same as when i got them from the second hand shop.

Nice. I didn't know that could be done. Might try it out myself next time I need a pair of worn or washed jeans hemmed.

w/r/t chain stitching. It's actually less strong than lock stitching and is only done by vintage machines. I suggested it as being in keeping with a vintage repro more than anything else. If Ramon's place couldn't do it than I don't know anywhere else in NYC that might be able to. It's not a big deal though. Just a very minor detail that might be nice to have.

Let me answer this for everyone , I own a store in Los Angeles that specializes in this area.It's a misconception that a great tailor can hem a jean if he's amazing with suits.Denim is extremely more difficult than any other fabric to work with.Trust me! Los Angeles is full of great tailors and we constantly have customers bringing their jeans in to have them fixed by botched jobs from other tailors.Now I'm not saying that there aren't other tailors who can do this but it is correct that most will do the job and the thickness will be more than the original.This is something we've been perfecting for over 7 years now ,well before any other tailor even thought about learning correctly because it simply was before this huge denim surge.We have jeans sent everyday from all over the country and all over the world because we have continued to build our reputation.I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or pompous just wanted to clearify the misconception about great tailors and the difference from denim to other fine fabrics.If a jean has a chainstitch then we put a chainstitch on it.

REVIVAL

Edited by denimrevival on Jan 22, 2005 at 02:02 PM

Edited by denimrevival on Jan 25, 2005 at 11:46 AM