The Flat Head 3001

fadeaway

there have been loads of mixed answers to what i want to know in this thread, so im just gonna be annoying and ask:

- ive gathered that i should hot soak them for an hour, let them dry and then start wearing. is this the best way to get the shrinkage out of the way? maybe a longer soak?

- im going to lose around 1.5 inches in the waist and half an inch in the thighs, right?

- when is the best time to soak again (cold or hot?), like when would you decide that the jeans need another soak?

- dry them inside out and in the shade?

thanks a lot

there have been loads of mixed answers to what i want to know in this thread, so im just gonna be annoying and ask:

- ive gathered that i should hot soak them for an hour, let them dry and then start wearing. is this the best way to get the shrinkage out of the way? maybe a longer soak?

- im going to lose around 1.5 inches in the waist and half an inch in the thighs, right?

- when is the best time to soak again (cold or hot?), like when would you decide that the jeans need another soak?

- dry them inside out and in the shade?

thanks a lot

Yes, Yes, wash when dirty, Yes.

All right. I've been reading quite a bit trying to decide what I want for my first pair of raw denim and I've sort of decided on the Flat Head F310.

I'm looking for a fit that's pretty similar Sidney's. Like this:

waywt_oct01_01.jpg

waywt_oct01_02.jpg

I'm 5'11" and 145 pounds. If I got a 29 would it stretch to this or would a 30 shrink to about this after a soak?

The pair of jeans I've been wearing are on my hips and have stretched out to 32" inches. They're a bit looser than what I'd like as I have to have a belt or they'll slide down.

I'm guessing if I went with the 30 and they were a bit too large for my liking after a soak I could just soak them longer right?

X-posted from repairs thread...

Should I repair my FH 3001's preemptively? Following are some pics after 40+ days of non-conecutive wear. I already see hallmarks of inevitable crotch blowout, probably sooner than later relative to wear in other areas. I'm near several reputable denim tailors (Denim Dr's, Simon Tailors). Will reinforcing the crotch at this early stage even help matters, or will I waste my money?

FHCrotch5.jpg

FHCrotch4.jpg

FHCrotch.jpg

I have been wearing my 3001s straight since June 07. The creases around my crotch have been the fastest fading part of my jeans and now they are almost white.

I would say wait until you notice the fabric is getting super soft or noticibly thinner before pre emptive repair.

Are they extremely tight or anything? Mine feel tough enough to last for another few months at least before I will look into preemptive repair.

Okay okay, so I know there are plenty sizing questions already, but after reading through them all I still have two...

1.) I'm pretty tall...6'2 or a little more....will these end up being too short? I like a little bunching..

2.) I wearing a 31 in unwashed MIJ Dior 19cms and 31 in APC new cures and 32 in most pre washed denim, does anyone hear wear the same sizes or similar in these jeans? I can't decide whether or not to get them in a 32 or 33....

sorry if this is annoying, but thanks for the help!

Okay okay, so I know there are plenty sizing questions already, but after reading through them all I still have two...

1.) I'm pretty tall...6'2 or a little more....will these end up being too short? I like a little bunching..

2.) I wearing a 31 in unwashed MIJ Dior 19cms and 31 in APC new cures and 32 in most pre washed denim, does anyone hear wear the same sizes or similar in these jeans? I can't decide whether or not to get them in a 32 or 33....

Get them in a size 32, if once you get them they're super tight just do a very quick (20 minute) cold soak then let them air dry. If you've got a little room to spare do a longer (1 hour) warm soak then let them air dry.

They won't be too short, even after a soak. Here are the measurements if you need em:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=213

i did 31 in new cures, 32 in flathead was too tight... but if you wear a 32 in most prewashed, i think you could be okay with a 32, instead of a 33

I asked this in the This or That thread, but it probably makes more sense here:

I have sort of big thighs. Would the flathead F310 still work for me? I was planning on getting the F380, but I noticed that the F310 has a bit more room in the thighs. Would the taper just make my thighs more pronounced? Should I not be looking at either of these models?

I asked this in the This or That thread, but it probably makes more sense here:

I have sort of big thighs. Would the flathead F310 still work for me? I was planning on getting the F380, but I noticed that the F310 has a bit more room in the thighs. Would the taper just make my thighs more pronounced? Should I not be looking at either of these models?

I know the measurements make it look like the F310 has more room, but the F380 is what you're looking for, it's got more room through the leg.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding Flathead 4001bk (couldn't find a thread for them). Do they have the exact same measurements as Flathead F310/3001? I wear a sz.30 in Imperial Kings (tapered them, now it's in between Dukes/Kings) but they're just a bit loose. I'm asking coz I don't know if they'd shrink as much as the indigo ones, so should I size-up?

And if I end up buying 3001's instead, should I buy a sz.31? Sorry for asking this, I know it's been asked a million times but I just want to make I buy the right size instead of buying the wrong size and end up re-selling them. Thanks!

I'm 5'11" and 145 pounds. If I got a 29 would it stretch to this or would a 30 shrink to about this after a soak?

I am 128 lbs... so unless those 17 lbs are all in your upper chest and biceps, there's a slight chance your thighs will never forgive you for buying a 29. Consider a size 30--these will still be fucking tight post-soak.

Whatever vanity size you usually wear, size up one from that.

I pride myself in being a size 28, but for these I bite my tongue and man up to 29.

Is that for both 4001bk and F310? And how much does the waist part shrink after soak? Thanks for the help man...

I made the same mistake. I'm 5'9" 194lbs and thought I could fit into a sz.32 i then sized up and went with the 34". They've stretched a little in the waist now but I'm in love with them, particularly how they fit in the thigh area and I got just enough shrinkage with a 2hr cold soak. The warehouse contest denim is taking a back seat for the time being.

I'm bummed...I got my 32s today and although they fit beautifully with the exception of the waist being a little tight, if they shrink at all, they wouldn't work so I sent them back in hopes the 33 will work!

The FH4001bks barely shrink at all. When I first got them, I tried a hot pre-soak, then a second hot soak + hot machine dry to shrink the inseam down, but it only shrunk 3/4 of an in. at the inseam.