Singeing affects fade?

I think that anyone who has a good pair of Japanese jeans has noticed that the denim is not quite the same as what's used in the jeans that you buy outside of Japan.

I've been thinking about why this is for quite some time now, I know that Japanese denim is not sanforized nor singed, is often rope dyed and perhaps dipped more times and in a better dye, but I have not reached a conclusion.

A couple of weeks ago I read that singeing affects the color and maybe how the jeans fade on Samurai's homepage, and it does sound like that could be the explanation.

To answer this question we would need someone who is knowledgeable in the making process of denim, so I guess this question is aimed at ringring and a few others here.

Edit: With different I mean that for example my Studio D'Artisans fade faster than all my other jeans when subjected to abrasion, and also has a better color and more hues, but also seem to lose less color when washed.

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on May 9, 2006 at 12:59 AM

Indigo is an inherently unstable dye. It will change colour with exposure to heat and air.

I don't think singeing will negatively change your jeans to any great extent. I think it's just a case of some purists wanting to buy denim as close to loomstate as possible.

Quote:

Different denims will fade differently to each other, so don't be at all surprised at all. Not all denim is equal, even if it's Japanese selvedge.

I have some SDs that fade faster than other SDs.

--- Original message by ringring on May 9, 2006 01:26 AM

yes, I understand that, but what I mean is that modern denim(singed, sanforized etc) like that used in Nudies, Acnes, Julian Reds, basically all brands other than the heritage ones, does not seem to fade the same way that Samurai's, Warehouses etc, which arent singed or sanforized.

Do you also think that there is a difference between these two 'types' of denim?

I wonder what the reason is, maybe it's just that these brands have denim that is made to higher specifications in regards to the dyeing?

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år