calling all snowboarders...need help in choosing a jacket

MyMindSpray

need some input...

trying to decide between outerwear giants like NorthFace, Arc'teryx VS Burton/Analog...

i'm looking for a solid jacket for snowboarding (wouldn't hurt if I could use it for everyday use too)...seeing that there are some solid sales in toronto right now, i've been eyeing some NorthFace shells and an Analog Lowrider jacket...

any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated...

thanks in advance...

Most designers are using the same materials from the same fabrics and manufacturers etc. That said, the quality is usually going to be solid. Snowboard issue stuff is consistently durable and weatherproof. these days you practically have to work hard at not coming with a functional, dope snowboard jacket. if you want up to 50% off ill shit like Burton, DUB, etc. etc. hit up

www.cheapsnowboards.com

it will reroute you to some other site, with a terrible interface, but trust me the prices are unbeatable.

analog is more so burton's lifestyle brand than snowboard apparel... still cool, but perhaps not as well constructed as burton AK as they use top shelf materials... but abel's right, many brands use similar versions of fabric... Gortex XCR (the most durable/breathable fabric in existance) is used by not only burton, but sessions, bonfire, acr'teryx, and a few others.

mind spray, i noticed the same thing too with the arc'teryx jackets... they're a little short, especially for riding. in terms of details though, i think burton takes the cake above all other snowboard brands.. volcom is dope too though and a little more reasonable..

abel, where did you grow up?

dig.

It ain't gore, but it is a 3 layer laminate...waterproof/breathable.

A lot of companies will use gore xcr in stuff and then a second non-name brand 3 layer laminate, like dermizax or a similar material.

I had a ronin 3l jacket which is the same material and it was good times and I live in Vancouver where it is mad wet all the fucking time, haha.

fuck around and get your waffle split

mymindspray it is of similar quality.

it isn't as crazy as gore xcr, but once you hit the 20,000mm waterproof range in a 3 layer laminate you pretty much won't notice the difference. Like I said I had the 3L and actually chose it over an xcr coat.

the thing you get with gore is their lifetime warranty. but if the garment you are purchasing is analog, it will actually come with one too. all the burton/analog stuff over a certain price point comes with a lifetime guaranteeeeee.

BTW the analog website fucking sucks!

the Burton AK 3L's fabric is Gortx XCR though.

Spray, just go on burton's site and they will show the specs of the jacket.

In terms of difference, XCR is the most breathable waterproof fabric - so

in terms of waterproofing, both the 3 layer 20,000 mm lament will keep you

dry, but when you blazing the city or trail and you get warm - you're more likely

to break a sweat under the fabric that's not breathable and will thus, make you

both wet and cold......

dig.

thanks sticky...good looking out...thanks for all the info...it's good to know the diff between what analog is using and the goretex XCR...

while i'm at it, can you recommend a good, reasonably priced snowpant??....i guess i'm really looking for the same things huh?...warmth, waterproof, same sorta materials i'm assuming...any other good brands besides burton/analog i should look out for?

thanks

i hate to say it, but when it comes to snowboard gear, i'm loyal to burton (for the most part).. either way, i think the Burton Ronin line is the best quality for the price. There's and entire collection on the burton site... good color ways and camo prints too. So, to be semi-economical and get get stuff.. look into Ronin.

dig.

Yeah I was trying to say that I don't really ever wear a snowboard jacket in the city...but I do hike a bunch when I go out snowboarding and didn't find the breathability to be an issue. I think people get overly anal about that kind of thing when it really doesn't affect their weekend warrior abilities.

I think the biggest key is to wearing a good base layer, something that isn't cotton and that wicks away any sweat. basically if you get that sweat trapped inside your jacket, you get cold. burton and a few other companies make products with an additive that actually is anti-stink...so you can have a fresh smelling base layer all the time haha.

man talking about snowboarding is kind of scary.

FYI burton/motorolla/apple teaming up on a jacket and some other shit next year (like a helmet or something?). All bluetooth wireless technology, something about itunes in a motorolla phone or something that connects to the jacket. Don't really know the specifics, sounds neat though.

Mindspray, if your looking for something to ride with and wear daily, Analog had a collab with Recon/Stash last season. Three colours: charcoal, tan, army green. I know Delphic and Boardzone carried them and they may have last season's gear in the back if your interested.

Edited by aDj on Jan 13, 2005 at 02:28 PM