Samurai S5000VX & S0505XX

Alright, so I'm looking to buy a pair of Samurai's but I need help to understand how these two fit.

I want to buy the 505s because according to the measurements they seem to fit close to New Standards, which are the right width in the legs for me. However, when I look at Bears the S0505 is rated as 2 on the scale 1(tight) - 5(baggy) whilst the SD103's, which are certainly not as slim as new standards, are rated as 1.5.

I don't really trust Bears since I know their measurements are wrong more often than not, but they should have a sense of how jeans fit still. Then on the other hand the 505s are not in their store anymore, maybe they revised their rating system since?

If the 505s are not the right fit I'm going to get s5000vx which are nice in many ways anyway.

What I need to know to get the right size though is how high the rise is on these. Could someone compare them to another pair of jeans? Again, Bears has measurements that I dont trust.

I think that I should get a size 30 505 and a size 28 5000 and have them stretch, but at these sizes the 5000's has a smaller thigh measurement but the fit is still rated as 3 on Bears, and the model sized down like I would. This just makes me even more confused.

so, what I want to know is

* Are Samurai's measurements correct?

* How slim are the S0505XX, and is it a low rise like I think it is?

* How high is the rise of the S5000VX?

* Should I completely disregard Bears?

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/d-stock/540681/588099/

http://www.bears-shimokita.com/main1/s0505xx.htm

5000vx

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/d-stock/540681/572851/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/samuraijeans-s5000vx/

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Apr 27, 2006 at 04:24 AM

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Apr 27, 2006 at 04:34 AM

Guest Berget__

Guest Guy H

Samurai's measure up as per their site. Well mine do. They shrunk down to tag size once washed.

I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and

fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Berget, yeah I've seen those before, but thanks anyway! :) remove the L from the link to the 505s though, its the geisha version.

Guy, have you/would you like to measure the thigh so I can compare with the measurements, to see if they're spot on?

Has no one seen these in the flesh, not even ringring?

Sorry, yeah I've seen them and worn them. In my experience, Samurai's shrink to tagged size. And yes, those zipped jeans are shrink to fit.

Personally if you're looking for a slim fit, low rise Samurai, I'd go for the S0110XJ. 15oz left hand, silver selvedge.

Quote:

Sorry, yeah I've seen them and worn them. In my experience, Samurai's shrink to tagged size. And yes, those zipped jeans are shrink to fit.

Personally if you're looking for a slim fit, low rise Samurai, I'd go for the S0110XJ. 15oz left hand, silver selvedge.

--- Original message by ringring on Apr 28, 2006 06:45 AM

have you tried on either of these models?

According to measurements, a size 28 s5000vx is slimmer than a size 30 0110XJ, which are the sizes I think would fit me, so it kind of sounds promising.

Do you know if the S0505XX is a slim fit? According to the measurements they are, but they are rated looser than my sd103s and lately people have been saying Levi's 505s have a big seat - but my Levis Japan 505 pants certainly dont and are a great slim fit.

The 0110s look good except for the backpockets, I cant stand Lee's backpockets so they're not on my list :/

Do you think it is right to expect these jeans to stretch 2"? The S5000VX has superstiff denim so I'm thinking that it could mean they stretch a little less, but I don't think it will.

thanks Guy and ringring!

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Apr 28, 2006 at 06:59 AM

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Apr 28, 2006 at 07:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that the slimmest Samurais are the Jins (SO110XJ - which I own), the Zeros, and the new SO500XX.

I'm not sure if you could expect them to strech 2". My feelings would be that since the jeans are heavier, they will shrink less since the denim is already very compact. A few months ago, Samurai answered a question I sent them in basic Japanese or maybe you can post your question on their message board. I did shrink a pair of SO110VXJs which uses 17oz cotton from lighter model Zeros (I think its the S3000). Both pairs had the same exact cut, but the right hand VXJ lost 1 inch in length, while the left hand XJs lost 2 inches. It comes down to different shrinkage from different types of denim, so its a crap shoot.

oh. ha. I've been trying to find a pair of Japanese Levis that I like. I want a pair of slim, low-rise Levis with a cool wash, and I'm thinking one of the Japanese pairs would be what I want....

(sorry to derail your thread icon_smile_tongue.gif)

Samurai says their slimmest fits are the jins, zeros (5000 & 3000) and the new SO500XX.

My SO110XJ fit true to size and their posted measurements after shrinkage are right on the money.

To get an answer, I would send them an email in basic japanese created thru a translator with a copy of English text. I did that with Denime and they were able to get back to me. If that doesn't work, try posting the question on their message board.

yeah, I know the s5000's are among their slimmest jeans. I believe the 505 is slimmer though since it has a half moon on the patch.

I have ordered a pair of 505s and I will sell them if they arent the right fit for me.

I'm just a little bummed that the 505s dont have 2tone stitching, hidden rivets and those nice buttons in the fly :s

Thanks for your help guys. I will let you know how it works out, it might be of help to someone who is also looking for a slim pair.

• 3 weeks later...

no prob, will try to get the other pics up soon.

The denim is quite slubby and irregular, much more so than my SD's. There is also very little starch in the denim, so they give the impression of being lighter than they really are. They aren't soft, they are definitely quite rough to the touch and the denim itself is pretty strong, but they aren't stiff.

also, that is the first time I wear them, so there are no creases yet. I think that the creases will form pretty easily though, efter wearing them just a few hours.

thanks!

I dont know, they are a bit different, so it's a bit like apples to oranges.

The SD's are simple and subtle, they look more like Levi's repros than the Samurai's, and are a slightly fuller cut, and therefore look a bit less modern, at least on me.

The denim of the SD's is great and I am certain that they will look great when I have worn them 6 or mor months, but it is a little boring before that. The Samurai's have a much slubbier denim and therefore are more fun, and the red tab and the yellow stitching on the backpockets add to that.

The Samurai's look better/more fun from the start, and fit better to me.

I will continue to wear my SD's for another 4 months though, these will only be used occasionally during that period.

I guess it depends on your style, which cut you want, and how 'old' you want them to look.

If you like both, you could get the S5000VX, it should fit something like the SD103's, except for the higher rise, and look like the S0505's ofcourse. The 17oz Zero denim is awesome and rock hard! I will definitely get a pair later on.

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on May 16, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Guest Guy H

Nice jeans and a nice blog of them. I need to get that chewing gum out of my Samurai's! icon_smile_blush.gif

I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and

fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

thanks! The shrinkage is noticeable but not bothersome. The zipper and the fly are now a little curly, but it works fine. It has jammed once maybe, and you can't unzip it super fast because it isn't completely straight, but it doesn't bother me at all. Don't let the zipper stop you if that's the only thing holding you back from getting a pair!

the S0510XX3's are crazy. http://www.samurai-j.com/samurai/report/xx3_report.html

The pics at the bottom are after 6 months and 2 or more washes.