Evisu in Edmonton

Bbestsb

So I don't think this has been posted yet, sorry if it has, but Que (sp?) is now carrying Evisu. Theres a couple japanese pairs there but mostly EU-ED. They also have shirts and hats. Prices are pretty outrageous. Jeans ranged from about $450-$750. One of the EU-ED pairs was even around $750. The quality on EU-ED's as I'm sure everyone knows is not justifiably worth that much. I got an authentic pair for $150 and feel like its almost too much. With EU-ED your really just paying for the name and the gull design, mos def not quality. There was jackets for over $1000.

Should be interesting to see how this stuff goes around here. I really don't think there is much of a market for it in E-Town. Maybe for hype beasts, but anyone in the know should realize not to spend this much on EU-ED. Sorry to go off on a tangent just a little shocked and suprised to see Evisu in E-town. Apparently there getting Red Monkey in a couple weeks too. Thoughts fellow E towners?

I agree that the price is ridiculous, but selling a brand like Evisu in Edmonton is somewhat of a risk imo. If I were a store manager, or in charge of purchasing, I don't think I would veer outside the brands I know that are proven to bring in money, without jacking up the price. I wouldn't even dream of trying to argue the actual merit of the product, because so far as I know, for the most part nobody around here cares. I think it has to do with the idea that the economy here is like an oil rollercoaster, so people can be pretty cynical when it comes to things like fashion, when they're more concerned about heating bills. At the very least, in the last couple of years, selection has increased a lot, and even though there's a lot of crap flooding the stores, it beats what we had before. I'm sure it will get better, I'm just worried about what things will be like in 5-6 years.

When I was in there I asked a guy working where it was they got this stuff cause I didn't imagine a store in Edmonton that has been open for not even a year would just be able to get an Evisu account, and he told me they did indeed get it from Evisu. So I emailed Evisu last night just to see since Queue is not listed on the site as an Evisu dealer. I got a reply this morning that Queue is "Not an authorized stockist of Evisu". I found that pretty interesting. I'm no expert on Evisu, but they're stuff did look pretty legit.

Yet Fung you raise an interesting point with the oil rollercoaster. The way I see it though is there will always be those kids that live here but go down to Ft.Mac every few months to work in the oil fields and come back with more money then they ever had. Those are probably the people that will waste money on this stuff. Evisu is now officially the most expensive denim in the City. It's even more then Boss. I'm sure even people that are unfamiliar with the name Evisu will be likely to buy this stuff based alone on the fact that they bought the most expensive jeans in the city. It's just funny cause anyone that knows the brand knows that EU-ED is certainly not worth anymore then a couple hundred at most and that Evisu Daicock jeans are just repulsive. That is one thing I find hilarious about this city. Rich jocks are willing to jump on any trend and beat it in to the ground just to say they spent the most money.

Whatevs... should be interesting to see where this all goes. Especially when Red Monkey supossedly shows up.

I actually caught wind of this yesterday hahaha from a friend from Calgary who went to Queue. Queue isn't "technically" a new store in the sense that the people that own Method/FarSide/Far-side girls/(one other girls store i forget the name) started that place up so I think their connections to certain brands is there?

For the educated denim buyer, I don't think this really makes a difference. I was at Henry last week and they had a bunch of PRPS stuff in but most of it was distressed crap.

The one weird thing is the title! who would have thought this thread would have been made let alone two other people answering it! I don't think I could do the same (make a thread regarding edmonton) for any other global forum and get any answers haha.

It probably is legit. Maybe they're getting stuff through an unlisted wholesaler, it probably isn't the first time. To get directly on the stocklist would require a little more notoriety I think. Did you check to see if it was new EU-ED? Maybe it's one or two seasons old, for the most part who around here would know the diff, and the stuff you can browse online is pretty limited. How much are t-shirts? I bought my friend an EU-ED Tee from HK and it came to about 100 bucks CAD.

Kinda sad, Edmonton used to be home to GWG, which at one time was the biggest workwear manufacturer in the british empire. Then we got bought out by Levis and then closed down due to outsourcing. The last hurrah was the biggest pair of jeans in the world, unveiled at the world track & field championships, which looked pretty lame, but went well with our giant cowboy boot and baseball bat. When I think of Edmonton, I automatically think of baseball, I mean, c'mon, the CrackerCats?

I thought I could very well have been the only Edmontonian on here. Where is this store? I have never heard of it.

What style are you all into and where do you shop? I find it very hard to keep up with a board like this (not that that is all I am trying to do) in ol' Edmonton.

I get Nudies at High Grade, and I know that Gravity Pope had some Acnes, but that is about it to the best of my knowledge for raw denim.

Just an FYI, I was in the "new" High Grade in WEM, and it seems like they are starting to stock with a bit more of a street wear slant.

Quote:

I thought I could very well have been the only Edmontonian on here. Where is this store? I have never heard of it.

What style are you all into and where do you shop? I find it very hard to keep up with a board like this (not that that is all I am trying to do) in ol' Edmonton.

I get Nudies at High Grade, and I know that Gravity Pope had some Acnes, but that is about it to the best of my knowledge for raw denim.

Just an FYI, I was in the "new" High Grade in WEM, and it seems like they are starting to stock with a bit more of a street wear slant.

--- Original message by HEWSINATOR on Apr 10, 2006 12:19 PM

Queue is on gateway blvd & 82/83 ave. It's down the street from Second Cup on the corner of whtye there.

yeh... wtf High Grade and Obey/Vans errr

Derks had some other dry stuff in aside from nudies don't remember what though

as for myself i'm streetwear although i don't like using the term "shoehead" , i guess u could classify me as one of those. i don't really shop locally aside from sale times...

I'm kinda starting to hate the term "streetwear". It just seems the term and what it is is getting so bastardized now. I guess I would kinda consider myself streetwear and a sneakerhead as much as I hate labels. I just despise the mainstream and trendy morons jumping on shit and just making it more common and less appealing. I'm kinda scared to see where this whole evisu and Red monkey thing goes with Queue. I was also impressed when Foosh almost sold out entirely of there Bapes at $350 a pop.

As for local shopping I'm pretty not into it. I find the best place to go is actually winners. Shit is was cheaper plus they usually end up getting a better variety when they do get name brand stuff. It seems the shops in Edmonton get the shaft and whatever is left over gets sent here. Plus with Winners usually only getting a couple of each item your far more likely to end up with something that not everyone will have. Plus I love the hunt.

I am another Edmontonain that reads this forum as well. I also love denim. I have been through queue as well. I thought it was OK they had a nce selection of denim, clothes, etc. I think it is a little bit sour grapes to hate on a store like Queue and then claim you are not into the local shopping scene. Even though I don't agree with the type of denim that they sell in Queue (I doubt most denim purest/traditionalist would) It is nice to see a bit more variety and I think that shops like this will help increase awareness in Edmontons shopping/fashion community on a whole.

The shop itself - sells the type of denim that is overstylized and over branded. Anyone who has read the book "pattern Recognition" would see this as the type of clothing that would make someone who is "sensative" very sick! I was surpirsed by the ammount of Micheal Kors clothes they had though - which I think is a nice budget brand for officewear/semiformal.

As for your views on Winners. I agree wholeheartedly. You need to search that place fairly well but with mnay repeated trips you eventually hit gold. You can just find some really unique brands/lines that you just don't get to see in Edmonton.

japanese denim has become a simulacra of americana. Initially being a faithful reporduction but becoming something else, independant from the original, a true reflection of postmodernity.

nice to see there are a bunch more people from edmonton on this site. seemed like there were more people on the east coast posting here. As for the retail envrionment in Edmonton it seems like there isn't much selection here. No one carries anything worth buying. Most of the streewear shops ie. high grade, urban, etc, all carry the same stuff, diesel, seven, true religion. All these shops are ubiquitious. Que may try and be different but carrying over priced evisus isn't gonna impress anyone. Besides like previous people have posted anyone that knows anything isn't gonna go out and throw down 700 bones on EU made evisus. I don't think there is a problem with demand becuase there are always pepole in the know that are gonna pay a decent amount for a quality product like a jap made evisu, the problems are the retailers and the stocklists.

Nudie has just recently started to get big and originally was only carried by holt and derks. High grade has only recently been put on nudies stocklist. Even a couple months ago the only place that carried the selvage reg ralph was holt and they were 300 bux. Now Highgrade has got the new straight sven but that too is 300 bux. I got the reg ralph online back in september and saved almost 75 bux after shipping duties etc. I just ordered the straight sven for like 95 pounds a fraction of the 300 cnd.

I think those evisus are gonna be sitting in que for a long while, everyone knows that nudies in north america are over priced at 265usd for anything in selvage but 700can for those evisus is retarded.

Some of you might say that i'm ragging on edmonton retailers and then i go and spend my money online but if a store stocked some decent shit like 5ep or rag and bone or even APC i'd be happy to pay 300 bones on a pair of rb5s or straight resin. No one here stocks any levi's repro brands. They may not be big in demand but i think there can be a large margin to be made for people that would rather not deal with shipping and customs, besides there are plenty other types of denim (non dry) that a store could carry that are off the beaten path. To me

highgrade=urban=underground, they all carry the same unintersting stuff to me and until some one provides some selection i'm gonna continue buying online. I hope someone of influence reads this

Edited by polystyreneman on Apr 10, 2006 at 09:44 PM

I strongly agree. I am not a big fan of highgrade-urban-undeground crowd. I saw nudies over a year ago in gravity pope, they also carry a few nice models of acne denim. What I really want is a place where we could pick up some nice levi repro, even lvc, or selvedged lee - just some very normal minimalist high quality denim. I have picked up a few online - my most recent is a nice pair of lee 101b they are not raw but they are a great heavy denim and an awesome cut - perfect jeans.

japanese denim has become a simulacra of americana. Initially being a faithful reporduction but becoming something else, independant from the original, a true reflection of postmodernity.

Wow, even larger following than I thought.

Ya, I think that Gravity Pope is way more expensive than I would like to pay for things, though I think that they have some nice stuff. The other "fun boy" stores, like Underground, HG, Urban, etc...I still go into, and I often enough find stuff I like, oddly enough, the stuff I like usually is what has sat there and is on sale.

Gravity pope is WAY overpriced. That store does make me sick in that it seems to be the only place to pick up some cool styles of shoes and some neat clothes you wo't find in many other places. My wife and I have talked many times about the what the perfect store would carry. It would be some alternative denim brands, shoes, purses, dresses and belts.

On a side note red ribbon gifts which moved a few months ago from it's 124 st location has some salt jeans that have tempted me. I don't know too mucha bout salt jeans but they seemed nice. Although I did not have time to really dig into it they also had some nice looking female jeans as well. I really need to go back there.

Oh and sorry the issue at heart here is evisu in Edmonton. Yeah I think those are gonna sit for a while in there. I agree just don't think that is what people are looking for around here. I would like to see a place selling lee's and also nicer levis and levi's repro. There is somethng about my lees that really speak to me and I think that edmonton does have a grassroots love of the kind of denim lee and levis sells. Lets face it this is the home of GWG.

Edited by Dogfarm on Apr 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM

Edited by Dogfarm on Apr 10, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Edited by Dogfarm on Apr 10, 2006 at 11:24 PM

imo the bapes at foosh weren't for people who knew any better who just wanted bapes for the sake of bapes. Some of the models he had there were available from legit sellers (pondon) for $220 CND shipped. I talked to the owner of foosh on one occasion and he said he was a big shoe head with > 800 pairs and that the stuff in brings in is marked competitively cause he wants to build the game... but i kind of doubt that a bit. SOme of his pieces are priced well but others i.e. AM1 NL @ $190, WC Court Forces at $160, Denim Dunk High at $150 make me wonder. Good on him for bringing in nice shit but like somebody mentioned... why buy locally when I could get AM1's and save myself $30-$40?

But Foosh did bring in the hundreds which was huge imo... i mean what could be trendier then the hundreds for underground stuff right now.

How often you guys hit up Winners? Do you find one Winners better then another? I picked up a pair of ES Fulton Patriots for $130 there and have really enjoyed them. What other steals/deals have u guys had?

The Winners in the city center mall is nice and usually does not get picked over as much. Also the Winners in Mayfield is huge! Hmm.

I think the reason foosh can be 30-40 higher than what you would find on the internet is just that. It is a retail store compared to an online merchant. There is still a huge stigma and fear with many about purchasing online. Then there is also the conveniences of a retail store and the extra overhead you have for running it. I think this is what accounts fro your disperity in pricing.

Edited by Dogfarm on Apr 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Well I guess this little thread I started about Evisu can be the new official E-Town thread...

Foosh is definetely one store in the city that I think is getting it right for the most part. Getting the hundreds was mos def huge. I wonder how many people in the city are even familiar with it though and realize how big of a deal it is for it to be here. I'm not a huge Tshirt wearer but it's a nice line. If they made smalls I would probably get the one with the girl face on it. There is a purple and pink version that I dont think foosh got that is really nice. I also would have really liked one of the Paisley hoodies but the smallest is medium and it fits like a large, plus I think he sold them all before they hit the floor. The euro levis they carry are not bad for washed denim.

As for the Bape, sad thing is $350 was a pretty justifiably price due to the avenue he took to get them in. He bought them over the phone from a busy work shop in Japan so he paid full price. Once you factor in shipping and rate conversion and the possible duty he paid they were likely almost $300 and he does need to make some money off them. You are right though anyone familiar with Bape new that most of those colors Pondon was clearing out for $150 US. Its basically the same deal with the nikes. I was tempted to get the denims on ebay for $93 US, but after conversion, shipping, and possible duty it would be around the same or cheaper to get in his store. If your well versed with what your into you know where and how to get it for the best price.

As for winners, I like to hit them all on a weekly basis. The down town one is easily the best. They know what sort of clientele lives in what areas and who buys what. Certain mall locations get absolutely nothing good at all, for instance...mill woods, londonderry, and caplilano. Those arent worth checking at all. Southside and both west end stores are also pretty good. My best find so far at a winners was a pair of ice cream shoes for $40. The huge dump of fred perry and Lacoste during the christmas season was also quite good. There has also been quite a bit of nike orange label lately. The polos have been pretty good as well as a great grey and neon green zip up hoodie of which there is still a small at the west end store. Winners is easily the best clothing store in the city.

Agreed. I did not know of the euro line levis at foosh though. Thanks for the tip I am gonna go check that out this week-end.

wow i will definitely check out winners downtown for sure then.... yeh I have seen some nice orange/white label nike stuff at west ed but thats pretty much the only one i check out.

$40 for Ice Creams is an absolute steal, not a big fan of the shoe itself though but the quality/attention to detail is great.

^^^ START THE HYPE NOW!!!! just a lil' teaser??? At least genre of clothing?

Quote: I think the reason foosh can be 30-40 higher than what you would find on the internet is just that. It is a retail store compared to an online merchant. There is still a huge stigma and fear with many about purchasing online. Then there is also the conveniences of a retail store and the extra overhead you have for running it. I think this is what accounts fro your disperity in pricing.

But the thing is, if you look at the same people selling AM1's on ebay, they're all resellers for the most part. I don't know the deal with the Taiwan/HK guys who are getting stock if they all own actual store fronts or if they are just staright up resellers. If I can get a shoe for less from a reseller then a store that actually orders (as he claims) them in then I think there's a problem there.

I have talked to a bunch of younger kids who don't mind paying extra prices for the security, but for a university student living away from home i'm always on the look out for the best deal.

BTW what is the definition of streetwear? I think i might have it mixed up? I assumed streetwear = the hundreds/mishka/orisue/clientele/supreme/obey etc etc not stuff like diesel/JL

I don't think there is a real definition for streetwear. These days all terminology and categories tend to get blended together as the mainstream absorbs trends. Id say you have it pretty onpoint with the brands you listed. I would also throw in Bape,Evisu,BBC, that sorta Hyped stuff right now.

The Ice cream's were a steal. I have bought three pairs in the past and paid quite a bit more then $40. Unfortunetly they were a girls pair so my GF got a free pair of shoes but I would have been more stoked if I found a pair for myself :)

As for ordering shoes online you really have to look at the added costs in the end. In most cases you end up paying about the same after all the bullshit you have to deal with for being Canadian. I also like supporting Justin at Foosh cause I think he is a great guy and is running a good shop. He definetely isn't out to gouge people. He's a sneakerhead too.

Becks23... Just wondering if there is any noticeable flaws on the Fultons you picked up? I bought a pair today that you could see obviously ripped a bit during production and they stitched up. Its on one of the legs seems. It isn't too noticeable but it caught my eye. IT also seems like the sizing was off on some pairs. I tried on two pairs of 29's, one of which I couldn't button up but had a good leg length, the other perfect in the waste but longer in the leg (the ones I bought). I have heard people say before that they don't shop at winners cause it just sells defective products, but this is probably the first I've come across anything mildly defective. And for anyone else that wants fultons there is still a pair of 29's that fit like a 28, and a 32 at the sherwood park store. This is a really nice pair of selvedge denim for only $130. It was funny the women at the counter was like " These are way too costly for jeans is this the right price". I had to let her know that they are about $300 in other stores. Her mind was blown.

Yeh thus far from my experience with Justin he seemed a real stand up guy. He definitely knows whats up and I think that will definitely help the Edmonton cause in that he won't be in it for the short run to make a quick buck.

I helped my buddy pick up a DS pair of Ice Creams, the baby blue (or lilac whatever ahah) with red money rolls for like $125 shipped CDN on ISS so that was a decent deal.

The Fultons I picked up were pretty good... I guess the only thing I *think might be defective is that the leg opening isn't smooth across the bottom. like it's uneven a bit... and the bottom leg opening stitching (don't know what it's called) isn't straight across, a bit crooked. But unless somebody was looking REALLY hard for them Idoubt you could find it. My usual size is a 33 and these 33's fit tight at first and stretched out probably at least an inch. I really have little experience with higher end denim as I just started getting educated on it very recently.

At the WEM location, there were one pair of 32's, and one pair of 33's. Of the three pairs I saw when I bought my pair, I picked the least sanded pair...the other two have more visible work done to them. I thought to myself...nobody will buy these jeans since they're too plain for the price and nobody will know their a half-selvedge.

Dirks menswaer has a a discount outlet just north of revolution cycle on stony plain road. I don't remember the exact adress. But there is some nice discount denim in there as well. I have not been there for a while but last year I found a nice pair of gas jeans which had a really nice square backpocket. The were a great cut for me and although the denim was nothing special it was still nice. I know Dirks carries nudie now and so I would not be surprised if they have started to trickle into this discount outlet.

Holy fuck, I thought this thread was done after 6 replies, this is huge. BUMP! & I'm definitely gonna check out winners city center and mayfield, I usually end up at the W-ED location which never seemed like it had much.

And to comment on online shopping, I'm sick and tired of places that don't ship to Canada, and the Canadian online store having zilch for selection. Damn you Zappos & Adidas!

• 2 weeks later...

Got some Evisu pumas in the mail today. Unfortunetley they dont fit. Dammit! Also I saw a kid at the mall in head to toe bape this weekend. Full red camo zip, a black t, all white sta's, and im pretty sure he had a bape wallet too. It's people that go overboard on it like fuckin lil wayne that will kill it. Wear one or two things at a time dammit.