on point french cuff shirts?

azad

in lieu of my recent post on cufflinks, I also would like to ask about french cuff dress shirts. I think they fit better than regular button cuff, but recently I havent found too many here in america. brand suggestions?

toma açaí

they don't technically "fit better"; they come in many different kinds of fits, just like button cuff shirts.

perhaps you can try Fil-à-Fil, they have really quality french cuff dress shirts. but for a more contemporary fit, i think agnès b is good. they don't have too many french cuff shirts, but their striped shirts are the works.

i don't know if you've heard of this brand Raoul. they have a very wide variety of french cuff dress shirts in various fits. it's relatively inexpensive and the quality is top notch.

http://www.raoul.com

die Kunst ist keine Wissenschaft

It depends how much you want to spend, and what kind of fit.

If you go for a more fitted look, I would go with Yves Saint Laurent, Gucci, or some other designer shit I wouldnt pay full price.

If you got the cash, I personally would go for Kiton or Barba Napoli (pretty fitted imo). That's just me though. I prefer to own a top notch shirt in these colors: white, light blue, and black.

Edited by big balla on Apr 5, 2006 at 12:41 AM

Recently my favorite shirts have been Seize Sur Vingt and Paul Smith's higher end shirts. However I am an advocate of fabric quality, fit and construction instead of certain brands.

I've heard good things about Agnes B but I have never bothered to go in their store. Maybe I'll have to drop by.

Ralph Lauren's higher end shirts are also fairly nice (ie Purple Label) but I wouldn't pay full price for them.

If you're going to pay alot for a shirt ($200 plus), there is a point at which you should be getting made-to-measure or bespoke. Paying for quality fabrics and construction is a much smarter move than paying for a designer label.

Quote: If you're going to pay alot for a shirt ($200 plus), there is a point at which you should be getting made-to-measure or bespoke. Paying for quality fabrics and construction is a much smarter move than paying for a designer label.

Very, very true, especially when it comes to French cuffs. The problem with many ready-to-wear French-cuff shirts is that they're made to fit everybody, and end up fitting nobody- if you don't have giant wrists for your size, the cuffs can end up drooping down your hands.

Custom solves this problem by giving you cuffs that are actually the right size for the circumference of your wrists.

But now that you mention it... yeah, Ralph Lauren Purple Label. There's usually a whole bunch on eBay for pretty good prices. I like the ones with the severe cutaway collar.

Edited by Nick M on Apr 5, 2006 at 09:19 AM

I get my basics made in Thailand with thick white silk and tailored for $20 a pop; I love french cuffs, and always get my shirts made withe em'. I know you can find some acceptable ones at Nordstrom Rack/Burlington Coat Factory if you have either near you. They often carry shirts by Ted Baker/Paul Smith/etc. and occasionally you will come by some good shit......

Quote:
Quote: There's usually a whole bunch on eBay for pretty good prices. I

fake...?

--- Original message by herpsky on Apr 5, 2006 11:12 AM

More than there used to be, definitely.

There's a seller I know, World*Class*Consignment, (http://tinyurl.com/rb5dk), who has gotten an assortment of RLPL samples for the last couple of seasons, couldn't hurt to keep an eye on him.

Edited by Nick M on Apr 5, 2006 at 08:14 PM

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fade to Black

has anyone tried Thom Browne's shirts? What do you think of those? They seem to be very pricey for what is essentially a Brooks Brothers shirt.