EMO COUTURE.

parisians

that could be any indie rocker.

emo loves art hair, suicide hair, bracelets, hot pink, black, overspray graphics, drip graphics, skulls, hot pink, girl jeans (on dudes), hot pink, lip piercings on the side, myspace pictures, low rise jeans that are too low rise in the front

Quote:

I could make some snotty comment about how emo died in 1997 or whatever but I don't really care since I don't listen to that shit anyway.

--- Original message by minya on Apr 1, 2006 05:32 PM

it started and died with rites of spring.

Guest Airjamie

Um....................Fugazi? How about The Pixies? Dinosaur JR? On a related note, this thread, especially its title, is generally useless.

Edited by Airjamie on Apr 2, 2006 at 07:11 PM

This is just my two penneth (or two cents).

The confusion that has arisen is because of one major fault with the term 'emo.' That is that pretty much all of the above answers and opinions are right.

If you didn't already know 'emo' is short for 'emotional' which to be fair doesn't actually mean a whole lot, especially when used to describe a style of music- surely all music is about emotions (or rather the affect it has upon our emotions).

If you look up the sites mentioned above they will give you a much better history of the term emo than I ever could but I will say that it was first used to describe the band Rites of Spring (I'm not certain of that though). Their album End on End is very, very good (and the lead dude then went on to form Fugazi).

The crux of the matter is this. Emo is a term thought up a lazy music journalists, and because it doesn't mean anything its much easier to appropriate to other sounds. Emo music developed from hardcore into well, a more indie rock sound, so yes Jawbreaker could (and were) be considered emo.

However, it doesn't stop their what is currently described as emo would be bands such as Fall Out Boy. What is different about the new crop of emo is firstly that emo kids will openly describe themselves as emo. Up until now the term emo carried a stigma, you never described yourself as 'emo.' I believe this stems from the fact that back in the hardcore days you were likely to get, well lets say a less than favorable attitude, from those hardcore fans who didn't like the new 'emotional' music and how it was 'polluting' their scene (maybe polluting is too harsh a word, I don't know, wasn't there).

I term of emo style/clothing I like to think of what been cited above; sweaters, scarfs, jeans. No piercings, girls haircuts/ jeans, tattoos, vintage/ thrift store (and obviously so) clothing, chuck taylors, vans and so on.

Now as has already been said "that could be any indie rocker." However, it is the style in which it is worn. Although you could have two guys both wearing a flannel check shirt or an old sweater, drainpipe jeans, and converse one could be 'emo'- looking smart but not in a preppy way you know and the other grunge, like ripped and I dunno its all about the context in which the clothing is worn, not just the clothing itself. Like same outfit but they'd look totally different.

Current emo is (horrid there I said I hate new school emo and love the old style, I really hate how they call themselves emo so when you say you like emo and mean one thing everyone thinks you mean another totally different and sucky thing arghhh!!!!£%£^8%*$%&£$- I'm sorry I had to get that off my chest).

Right, I'll start again current emo is black, lots of but worn in a much more goth-like way, lots of piercings (notice as compared to the above where the Botch who was part of the scene remembers "no-piercings"- it's constantly changing), and I quote from above,"art hair, suicide hair, bracelets, hot pink, black, overspray graphics, drip graphics, skulls, hot pink, girl jeans (on dudes), hot pink, lip piercings on the side, myspace pictures, low rise jeans that are too low rise in the front."

I'm sorry if that makes no sense to anyone but me but that's what I believe to be true. If you want a similar sort of situation, look at the thread "ECKO FINALLY DYING" in Supershopper. You can see exactly the same sort of thing, people arguing about what exactly 'streetwear' 'is.'

This is our problem we try to convey so many ideas and emotions through non- specific (or not specific enough) terms like 'emo' (emotional- could it be any broader?) or 'streetwear (things which one wears whilst walking don't a street?) 'urban' (can't you wear it in the countryside?).

I'll stop now before I lose any credibility I may have gained so far..

Thankyou for reading, and please, if you believe me to be horrendously wrong, don't have ago at me, let's talk.

Loop.

Oh yeah, I forgot. before the current crop of 'emo' bands started branding themselves as such I believe it was de rigeur to use the phrase 'post-hardcore.' Whatever, its all the same (and yet all entirely different, that's the problem).

I love the music of At The Drive-In which how I got into the whole 'emo' debarcle, but no one seems to cite them as emo anymore. It would appear that if you are influential enough you can escape the emo curse (but I could, of course, be wrong).

I always saw Jawbreaker as a pop-punk band, and At the Drive-In as a post-hardcore band. Emo does not equal post-hardcore; I always viewed them as two different things.

I hate name dropping, but it's the easiest way to describe a certain genre. Post-hardcore... Big Black, Fugazi, Helmet, Quicksand, Texas Is the Reason, etc. Emo... Rites of Spring, Embrace, Still Life, Moss Icon, Maximilian Colby, Julia, etc.

Demindestroyedmylife;

Well given the current rate of exchange you do get more for two penneth (pennies that is) than for two cents. Though you have a point about the other two cents...hmm...

Its like 1.7 cents to a penny so shall we say three cents overall?

LanceP;

Actually I think I'd pretty much agree with you about the post-hardcore thing, I'm just saying than the current style of 'emo' called itself 'post-hardcore' or I think it did here (in the uk)..

The Jawbreaker thing though depends on when you come to it like if you were there at the time (which I certainly wasn't) then it might definately not be, but if you come to things later they can be seen to have a place with in the evolution of the term 'emo' and how its (over)used and abused. Like I said (or tried to say) its many different things to many different people.

I tried to stay away from name dropping (because I'd probably get things wrong) but you're right, it is kinda the easier way to explain things.

Loop.

Edited by Loop on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:30 PM

no way is max colby emo, because they are good and don't sing, only scream. julia embodies the emo aesthetic perfectly, though, mostly because they are whiny bastards that sing, then scream, and suck.

what does one do with old hardcore 7"s? is there a market? actually took pictures of a bunch of 7"s to put on eBay and then I was like FOK, what is the point? 90% of these old rekkids are terrible, what was i thinking?

damn.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:31 PM

I always mixed emo and screamo together 'cause they were basically the same thing to me... all those bands (Maximilian Colby, Heroin, You & I, etc.) What it comes down to is that this is a tired discussion, and the term "emo" sucks balls. People will always call bands that aren't emo emo. What I always found interesting was that the Strife singer used to sing for Still Life, and that Orchid's drummer was the first drummer for Interpol.

As for the 7" market... just add Mental to the item description on eBay.

Yes I'm sorry I'm posting again but this is a subject close to my heart,

Would you say there was as marked a difference between the original emo scene and post-harcore as there is between what was once regarded as emo and now is, in terms of clothing etc. That was afterall the original question. We're getting into semantics about the music itself (of which my knowledge could definately be stronger) but what was asked was our opinions on the clothing and styles worn by those who deem themselves (or are deemed) emo.

I mean I like the old school emo asthetic and loathe the new one but spend a vast amount of my time listening to downbeat, hip hop, ska etc.

There is more to a sence than its music (even if it is the music which drives it and hold it togther).

Loop.

Edited by Loop on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:42 PM

that last post makes me remember why i hate the way people stereotype, its brilliant. in light of that i think everyone should just stop using the word "emo" because generally speaking no one knows what the hell that really means and its got so many implications now that are just ridiculous. fortunately i can say that here because most people on superfuture seem to know way more than the average person about music, especially what was once called "emo".