Jeans dipped in TEA

Whoever did this wanted to get a "used" look.

He was apparently insipred by the idea of burying denim in the ground.

He thinks that the reason for burying denim underground is to stain the jeans with tannin from plants. He was a little hesitant about burying his precious denim. Instead, he decided to come up with an alternative - oolong tea (as we all know, tea is rich in tannin).

Besides the selvedge becoming darker / yellow-ish, he noted that the vertical fading on the thighs (i don't really know the technical word for this) has also gotten a little yellow-ish as well.

haha, this is an idea I've been pondering a bit....

I've had Diesels in the past with the tea-wash, it makes the weft really ecru-beigish, which I think is nice... I might try a hot soak in Oolong myself on a pair of APC's when the time comes...

I wonder if tea would counteract the cleaning properties of soap?

Staining with tea and coffee is not at all unheard of. It is often used when jeans are too 'blue' (I mean like baby-blue or blueberry blue). Raw persimmon juice (kaki-shibu) is also used sometimes for this purpose. There are some before-and-after pics using coffee on a Japanese website. If I can find it again I will post it.

Staining with tea and coffee is not at all unheard of. It is often used when jeans are too 'blue' (I mean like baby-blue or blueberry blue). Raw persimmon juice (kaki-shibu) is also used sometimes for this purpose. There are some before-and-after pics using coffee on a Japanese website. If I can find it again I will post it.

I wonder if that might be a solution to the blue color that Wranglers are supposed to have when they are washed? It would certainly be worth a try. There's just so many expreiments I'd do if I had the time.

I'm not too sure if soaking can penetrate the indigo, but I recommend just spraying down the jeans with whatever tea/coffee mix you choose while the jeans are still raw. That way, when the warp threads start to fade, they're still a different colour than the weft. I tried it on my RRDS when I first got them and I think they look great.