I understand the appeal of very expensive replicas...but who prefers scoring the originals

damnIam

I mean all the military jackets and military inspired items are so very very cool looking but I feel silly when I see the original in mint condition at a surplus store. Who's with me here? Maybe just to mix and match with some of the newer updated versions. Hats, backpacks, web belts etc.

i love real mil stuff... ive got a m-65, 1970s peacoat, 1970s cold weather jacket, early 70s usaf dress tunic, early 60s shirt, early 60s work pants... and some other shit... there are 2 navy bases here in town so alot of stuff ends up at the thrift stores. i didnt pay more than 10$ for any of those items.

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

Guest Fade to Black

I don't really have any 'military' gear like the real m-65s or anything like that...closest thing I have is a Helmut Lang hooded military-style zip-up jacket from like 98...it's held up really well. But overall my philosophy is: Get the original unless there's some kind of detail in the replica version that tweaks the design in a unique way so it's not a total rip off. If you're into more designer, I'd say Junya Watanabe's army style jackets, with the high tech fabrics and tailored cut might warrant consideration, that's the kind of thing I was getting at with the tweaking element...his show for the upcoming fall seemed to feature a lot of those.

Yeah, I like the older stuff, it seems like the older stuff is the inspiration for so many styles now. I agree, with cheap, I like like the old workwear stuff as well. I have at least 10 pairs of work pants from the 50s. The are the old LEE CHETOPA work pants in %100 cotton. LVC made a few pairs of the workwear repro chino and they were like 200 bucks or something on the AERO site. I picked up a deadstock pair of the LEE version that is exactly like them in style and color with the vintage Gripper Zipper and branding for like 20 bucks off ebay. If you held the two up together you would not be able to tell any difference. That is kind of what I am talking about.