What DOES sanforized mean really?

sneakeraddict

Yeah, I know it means they won't shrink more than 3% max, but I have recently seen a few jeans listed on ebay and at Aeroleather etc, that say the jeans are "sanforized".

For example, the japanese Lees on Aeroleather are sanforized, yet it says the waist will remain the same while you can expect up to 3 inches shrinkage on length after one wash...

then surely they arent sanforized?

good question! Essentially, Sanforized means denim that's preshrunk in the fabric phase, as opposed to washed as a complete garment. And yes, it's supposed to limit shrinkage to 3%. But all my Sanforized Lee jeans have shrunk, I would say by more than 3%, and I've spoken to vintage dealers who believed the old ones shrunk to some extent too.

pretty sure it means inspected and approved by Fred Sanford of Sanford & Son fame.

as you can see from this photo, Sanford and Son were quite the denim enthusiasts. they even advertised selvage in their high end denim shop, before it was cool. they were poor uneducated garbagemen though, so their spelling was a bit off.

http://www.jamieross.com/autographs/sanfordandson.jpg

Actually, it was invented by Sanford L Cluett - how's that for an all-american name. He patented the process around 1928, and it was first used for denim sold by J C Penney. Bet mr cluett didn't look as cool as sanford & son tho.

It was produced by Erwin Mills, a huge concern, which closed decades ago - like Valencia st will be, it's all loft aparmtnets now...

Edited by Paul T on Mar 15, 2006 at 09:34 AM

denimdestroyedmylife on Today @ 09:47 AM

hahah check out how serious this guy is, correcting me n shit on a petty detail.. way to totally ruin the funny dudes.. christ.. "we cant join in and have fun, we gotta be all serious n shit, were snobby elitists, and having a sense of humor is like soooo unpretentious" l o lolo

Quote:

denimdestroyedmylife on Today @ 09:47 AM

hahah check out how serious this guy is, correcting me n shit on a petty detail.. way to totally ruin the funny dudes.. christ.. "we cant join in and have fun, we gotta be all serious n shit, were snobby elitists, and having a sense of humor is like soooo unpretentious" l o lolo

--- Original message by cant_sleep on Mar 15, 2006 10:10 AM

huh? I didn't take you for a snobby elitist, sleeper. my mistake...

"I want to die with myh bluejeans on," I heard myself say.