nudie sizing for a newbie

seoulfully

hello all, new to nudies, new to denim

i'm about to get my first pair of nudies, i usually wear a 33" waist (in GAP jeans). i don't want super tight jeans, should i get a 32" or a 31"? i just got some APC rescues in a 31 and they fit great. thanks!

edit:

i know everyone hates the newbie who doesn't search... sorry. i searched here and mynudies, didn't find a satisfactory answer. but i went ahead and bit the bullet on some 31"ers. wish me luck. thanks!

Edited by seoulfully on Mar 15, 2006 at 07:05 AM

Edited by seoulfully on Mar 15, 2006 at 07:05 AM

Well, it depends on what style/model you're interested in, and especially if you're looking for either raw/dry or washed denim...

Though, a 31 should be a good bet, but remember that, lets say a pair of Nudie RRDS will be significantly smaller at first than your rescues.

I can't be sure, but I would expect between .5" to a full inch smaller in the waist...

It is usually said on dry denim that you should pick the smallest size you are able to button up. Of course, they will stretch pretty fast with wear.

well the apc rescues in 31 was the first pair of jeans. buttoned up pretty easily. but i dont mind wearing them a little baggy after they stretch. and i'll know soon enough about the nudies. haha, i suppose somewhere i should keep a little chart of (a) what my actual measurements are and (B) what sizes i wear in different brands/styles... i'm trying hard not to get too into it. otherwise my handle might have to change to denimdestroyedmylife2oo... ha

hey while this thread is up, i have a question:

recently bought a pair of regular ralf dry selvage in 30/32. im 6'0 and pretty skinny. waist is fine. length reaches down to near the bottom of the back of my shoes. is the length going to be ok in the long run?

edit: JUST reaches the bottom when standing up straight, they are not bunched up or anything.

Edited by horshack on Mar 15, 2006 at 05:49 PM

Maybe you should've gotten the 30/34s instead. Most accounts of dry nudies say that the length will shrink by 1" to 1.5" after the first wash. You can counter this a bit by stretching them after the wash, but in the end you don't want to invest that much time (i'm assuming 6 months to a year) getting an nice fade and whiskers on your jean if they're going to be too short to wear eventually. With a 30/34 you could cuff (some people don't like the look) and wear until the first wash. Then you'll get an accurate idea of how much the jeans will shrink. After that you can hem it. Otherwise, you can gamble a bit and just hem it to where you'd like it and add an inch or so to the measurement to adjust for shrinkage.

I have them in 29/32 cuffed (I'm not too tall) and I'll admit that I wasn't too into the look much at first. But it's not so bad now and it's nice to rock the selvage (we did buy RRDS afterall!) and feel a bit some denim snobbery.