Got $175... best choice of jeans?

cgeezy

for 175 you can go for lvc 47s or nudies dry grecast, in svens or rr.

if you go for prewashed i would say diesels, regardless of what people here think of their jeans i do think that they have some really subtle but good washes.. and also some reallyout there washes so if you are looking for some variety fo washes go for those.

Quote:

Yes, info about fit is important. Also, I'd shy away from getting the cheaper Nudies as your first premium denim. Their durability is subpar.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 8, 2006 02:11 PM

really? I've got RRDS----but so many people are going on about how much they love their RRDG, how well they break in and such, even RRDS owners are saying this. interesting...

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, info about fit is important. Also, I'd shy away from getting the cheaper Nudies as your first premium denim. Their durability is subpar.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 8, 2006 02:11 PM

really? I've got RRDS----but so many people are going on about how much they love their RRDG, how well they break in and such, even RRDS owners are saying this. interesting...

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 8, 2006 04:34 PM

A lot of people are judging their experienes with greycast simply from images on the internet, which changes things a lot - both screen resolution, photo lighting and contrast all effect this. To be honest I've seen both RRG brand new and worn-in, and the texture of the denim is less than satisfying, to me (a noticable difference from the Dry Selvage, and a huge difference from 5EP, Rag&Bone, Studio D'Artisan), and the denim tends to rip easily. Both kixslf and other accounts of worn greycasts attest to this.

If you've already got a couple other pairs of jeans, by all means. They are an "interesting" color (that's the best I'll personally say about it). I just don't suggest them as your first pair of dry denim because of low fabric integrity.

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the greycast and the dry selvage?

--- Original message by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 05:32 PM

The denim on the DS is a lot tougher and it has the traditional dark blue color. I wouldn't buy the greycasts without first seeing them in person really.

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the greycast and the dry selvage?

--- Original message by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 05:32 PM

Some key differences:

Price (as mentioned) - about $80

Color - greycasts have a turquoise-grey color, where as the selvage is more of a pure blue

Denim - they use completely different denims (selvage is Japanese, greycast is Italian), the greycast's comes out much stiffer with a rougher hand, is less slubby and as I said, is less durable. I think it is also a little lighter weight (the selvage is 13.5 oz)

Selvage - the selvage is selvage, the greycast is not

The similarities are:

Cut - they're cut from the same pattern

Weft threads - they both have unbleached weft threads (ecru color)

^i would also go with the cali's if you want slim and raw. the construction and design are top notch and for the price they are a much better deal than most any other raw selvedge denim. mattias at fos5 took time to answer all many questions and even exchanged sizes for me. for $175 shipped its the best deal your going to find in your price range.