skaterboard places/prices - Toronto

showbiz00ditc

yO whats goin on toronto skaters... besides longboarding i havent skateboarded since i was like 14... but now being away at school and stuff i just feel like skating around campus anddowntown n stuff.

im just wondering whats considered good in the game right now?

whats the best bang for the buck?

what shops have the best prices?

how much will i be looking to pay?

i have a set of Tensor (dont even know if their around anymore) trucks which i'll prolly take off my old board just to save some money.

thanks in advance

Andrew

Its all the same wherever you go, just under $200. plenty of good stores. You can find some decent decks discounted though at most places.

I like boardzone up near my house and downtown Adrift is good, so is Hogtown and So Hip... I think there are a few more places on queen too.

I ride tensors and they are decent.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Quote:

im looking to start skating so whats some good starter equipment

quality is important, but im looking for a compromise between quality and price

--- Original message by homi29 on Feb 15, 2006 05:46 PM

Buy a Blank with some legit trucks and some blank wheels and get solid bearings.

my favourite things

Quote:

yea i remember back when i skated though the blanks were almost just a flat piece of wood. i remember blanks stepping shit up just as i was phasing out of it...

so i assume that now blank decks have some decent concave?

--- Original message by showbiz00ditc on Feb 15, 2006 05:44 PM

Yeah blanks are good, often the same as the pro decks, just blank.

my favourite things

blank boards should be alright

some legit 34mm or 36mm wheels whichever you prefer

good quality trucks man, I had some that were shit. I reccomend royals.

and bearings, very very important, I recommend panthers or speed demons

dt: noise, adrift

malls: west 49

keele: boardzone

-I felt good times come, i thought they stay

angels came, but they left today.

hotel motel its hot in hell

now i am left with no home-

Quote:

blank boards should be alright

some legit 34mm or 36mm wheels whichever you prefer

good quality trucks man, I had some that were shit. I reccomend royals.

and bearings, very very important, I recommend panthers or speed demons

dt: noise, adrift

malls: west 49

keele: boardzone

--- Original message by aitsuka on Feb 15, 2006 09:01 PM

Whoa man,

your wheels are going to want to be in the 50mm range. For just riding around id say go big maybe a 57 or 58.

my favourite things

Quote:

34mm wheels?

That's practically the size of the bearings!

Unless you're typing from the past, say 1995, I would stay away from wheels that small.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Feb 15, 2006 11:22 PM

more like 92... in 95 i remember philly blowing up and all the kids were riding 58s or 60s... id also stay away from blanks... stick with a namebrand, itll keep you off of chineese wood. for trucks and wheels ive ridden indys and spitfires for the past 10 years and never had any problems. get some abec 5 bearings too... anything over that isnt worth the increse in price.

denim is the new crack

Quote:
Quote:

34mm wheels?

That's practically the size of the bearings!

Unless you're typing from the past, say 1995, I would stay away from wheels that small.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Feb 15, 2006 11:22 PM

more like 92... in 95 i remember philly blowing up and all the kids were riding 58s or 60s... id also stay away from blanks... stick with a namebrand, itll keep you off of chineese wood. for trucks and wheels ive ridden indys and spitfires for the past 10 years and never had any problems. get some abec 5 bearings too... anything over that isnt worth the increse in price.

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Feb 16, 2006 06:33 AM

there are blank boards at west49 premium maple, 8 layers, laminated and shit, think made in quebec. like 70 bucks. I sugest abec 7s though

-I felt good times come, i thought they stay

angels came, but they left today.

hotel motel its hot in hell

now i am left with no home-

OK OK, first off bearings...

ABEC ratings mean nothing in regards to skateboarding. There's not going to be a difference between ABEC 3 and ABEC 324534 when you're bombing a hill or kickflipping a staircase. It's just a gimmick.

The best bearings you can buy are Bones Swiss Ceramics, however those are super expensive. I ride regular Bones Swiss Bearings. If you don't ride those, then just get whatever bearing is the cheapest, because if it ain't Bones, it's whack, and that's the MF'in truth. Take it from someone who's been riding for a long time.

I recommend Lucky ABEC 3 Bearings as the best alternative to Bones Swiss. They're cheap in price, but still a pretty decent bearing.

Now Trucks...

I ride Krux, but it really depends on what you plan on doing with your board...If you just plan on cruising around then get Independents. If you want to actually skate and do tricks, you'll want to look into other brands (Independents are also suitable for street skating). Just make sure you get the right size. I like my trucks slightly smaller than my board size, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Wheels...

If you want to cruise around then the bigger and softer your wheels are, the better. If you want to do tricks, I would recommend a medium sized wheel (50-56 mm) that is relatively hard (99a-101a). Spitfire is a pretty solid wheel company. That' what I ride.

Board...

This is probably the hardest choice in the skateboard selection process. I've you're getting a board just to ride around, then you'll just want to get a fairly wide board. If you plan on doing real skateboarding then you'll want to take into consideration the size, shape, and quality of the board.

I ride Krooked, Instant Winner, and 5Boro boards, because they are made in the U.S. with Canadian Maple wood, and have great shapes. Go to your local skateshop and check out various companies' boards. Check the shape and size, and make sure it's to your liking. Most importantly make sure the board is made in the U.S. with Canadia maple. Chinese wood is a disgrace to skateboarding.

Anyway I wrote this at the end of a night of drinking, so if I left anything out or you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Shred for life!

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado