Denim in Chicago

Medine

just wondering if anyone thinks there should be a good denim store in chicago, or chicago area... im actually thinking if it would be possible to start one

well we could use store like blackbird in chicago.

there's already apartment no. 9 that has some of the same stuff as blackbird, but im thinking of a store more like BiG or Self edge

there's already apartment no. 9 that has some of the same stuff as blackbird, but im thinking of a store more like BiG or Self edge

I don't know. Gordon and Kiya are pretty well connected in Japan, I think they have a lot of exclusive North American rights to several brands, like FH and Samurai. Something like Context would be more likely, with a mix of "heritage" brands like SC and "fashion" brands like Nudie, APC...

I agree with MR HaGa. Without the relationships to the more well known JP denim makers like SC/Samurai/PBJ/FC/FH/Eternal, you are left with the Nudies, APC's, Acne's, KMW's, PRPS's, Pumavisu's etc. (not to knock them, but it's apples and oranges)

Between Barney's Co-op, Untitled, Guise, Hejfina, Penelope's, Apt9, Jake- the city's already saturated with the latter, and they are constantly marking those lines down to about 50%-75% off.

Not to say that if there were a place like BIG or SE in Chicago, I would not be a regular there; but unless there is a way to work around the exclusive rights that BIG/SE have, there wouldn't be much to set you apart from what's already here.

First, I don't know anything about retailing and would hate having a job like that, but here's what comes to my mind...

If you do things right, there's always room for an innovative store. To keep Context's example, it's amazing how they evolved in just a few years, in a direction that I think is the best they could have taken. They developed a strong and loyal customer base, both local and online. I would advise limiting yourself only to denim (because, let's face it, jeans get boring after a while, and if you plan on selling raw denim, your customers will buy a pair, and wait a year before buying another pair).

You could rely on established brands like Sugar Cane, but I would advise to try to bring in lesser known brands as well. If you market them right, people will buy them (look at what happened to Flat Head over here in just a few years). Brands like Studio d'Artisan look like they are trying to expand out of Japan, Omnigod seems to be willing to take the same path as well (they'll be at Capsule in Paris next week, I think it's a sign), just to name a few.

It's more complicated when it comes to fashion brands like Nudie or APC, they are a staple, people buy them, but in Chicago, the market might already be saturated. Maybe you could sell Jean Shop or Kicking Mule instead? They make great products and aren't as present as the previous.

Guest umhaha84

APT#9 only carries boring shit like dress shirts and cardigan, nothing like r.geller or doesn't even carry APC.

well, it just seems like chicago needs a real denim shop but im sure it would take alot of work...

speaking of denim in chicago, are any denim heads going to the taste on july 3rd? look for me and the stronghold stripes

medine I will possibly be at the taste fest that very day...as for a denim shop, I've been thinking on this for quite a while now and have come to the same conclusions as everyone else...SE and BiG already fill the market and with their brand exclusivity you'd have to bring in other companies to market and grow. But I'm just a recent college graduate with no business training so what do I know...

As for what brands would likely be good to bring in, I have a few in mind ;)

It's more complicated when it comes to fashion brands like Nudie or APC, they are a staple, people buy them, but in Chicago, the market might already be saturated. Maybe you could sell Jean Shop or Kicking Mule instead? They make great products and aren't as present as the previous.

Jean Shop made its way through Jake and Nordstrom's a few seasons ago, and performed poorly. KMW is currently at Apt 9.