Lent

pete mcstunna

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since i'm not sure whether or not you're being serious, i shall ignore the question and post this amusing picture of a monkey

Perfectly serious. I hear about it sometimes because I have a few friends that talk about what they're giving up or something, but I've just never cared enough to look it up on wikipedia.

forty-day-long liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter... preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus

This shit sounds pretty serious, you guys are giving out some alms? I want some alms. What the fuck are alms? Can I cop on supermarket? Christianity has always confused me. It's always about eating and drinking some shit or giving up different shit. Did Jesus really want you guys to starve yourselves for forty days? Does this get you closer to God? What if you give up during this Lent? Does Jesus hate you?

So many questions. I don't even know where to start. This is why I never bothered to look this shit up. I'm going to end up reading wikipedia for hours.

i'm gonna give up french fries

shit is gonna be difficult because a niggas in love with french fries

true story

french fries as in all fries? I don't I could ever give up garlic fries..and the seasoned cris cross fries..

and potatoe wedges.. yummmmm

once when my dad disowned my sister i stopped eating for a week

and then i did the stupidest shit ever i took 2 shots of alcohol that was the most horrible thing that happened to me last year that i can remember. my tonsil/back of the throat was nearly in my mouth. i couldn't eat for 3 more days because it hurt my throat shit i couldn't even drink water.

oh snap, pancake day??

The festival is widely associated with the eating of foods such as pancakes, and often known simply as Pancake Day, originally because these used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, the consumption of which was traditionally restricted during Lent.

Perfectly serious. I hear about it sometimes because I have a few friends that talk about what they're giving up or something, but I've just never cared enough to look it up on wikipedia.

This shit sounds pretty serious, you guys are giving out some alms? I want some alms. What the fuck are alms? Can I cop on supermarket? Christianity has always confused me. It's always about eating and drinking some shit or giving up different shit. Did Jesus really want you guys to starve yourselves for forty days? Does this get you closer to God? What if you give up during this Lent? Does Jesus hate you?

So many questions. I don't even know where to start. This is why I never bothered to look this shit up. I'm going to end up reading wikipedia for hours.

i'm not gonna get into all the questions cause a debate on religion (to me) is a complete and utter waste of time because we'd both just be regurgitating what we believe.

That being said, to me, Lent is a test of devotion to the religion and to your beliefs. In this case, you show your devotion by sacrificing something you enjoy.

Religion is only strict if you let it be. I live my own life and am in no way a Bible thumper, but I am a Catholic, and this is the least I can do.

One of the stories in the Bible is Jesus going through the desert for 40 days w/ no food, and turned down temptation from the devil on more then one occasion. That's the basis of this really.

Lastly, we've probably got it the easiest (we=Catholics)

To start, I know some Orthodox sects go 50 days and go vegan, which is just nuts.

Muslims fast during Ramadan, which is an entire month, and they don't eat anything from sunrise to sunset.

Everybody's got their own thing. My friends look at me like I'm insane.

Christianity has always confused me. It's always about eating and drinking some shit or giving up different shit. Did Jesus really want you guys to starve yourselves for forty days? Does this get you closer to God? What if you give up during this Lent? Does Jesus hate you?

It's a Catholic thing. Jesus didn't go around preaching lent.

The Christian principle is that it is better to obey daily (love God, love others, death to self) than to sacrifice. It's also a Christian principle that nothing outside of man is evil, only what is in his heart. (greed, substance abuse, lust...) Kind of like "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

But whatever. I'm an atheist.

once when my dad disowned my sister i stopped eating for a week

why did your dad disown your sister. does she has the herpes

imma indulge on all the things you guys are giving up, starting with gooey caramelized banana pancakes with extra maple syruuuup <3

gimme more ideas!