Interesting video: Consumerism and happiness

Somnus

they are both interesting and both cover different topics while circling a similar basic idea. One is about price vs. hype while the other is based on what is considered real/authentic/experiences. I enjoyed Wallace's more but Pine presents something I would take more seriously probably due to just the tone he uses. Which is sad but true nonetheless.

Which brings me to this question:

How does everyone feel about forking out hundreds and thousands of dollars on fashion when the cost of production is a small fraction of the retail price?

I think its crap, although I simply don't have the money to support these brands so I really don't have a choice. If you have the money though to buy brands like that then go for it if you like it

Guest Methimphibian

didn't like Wallace that much, implies that expensive clothing is bought solely for compliments, I don't think he even mentioned if he liked them or not.

anyone tried that kobe beef in LA? kind of want to go there and try it lol

If buying stuff makes you happy, then whatever. It doesn't matter what your interests are, it could be music, computers, cars, black people, all the same you spend your money where it matters to you. With clothing and fashion you could call it frivolous, after all we are spending an exorbitant amount of money on cloth, but once you go beyond calling a shirt, a shirt, or a jacket as a jacket, and instead recognize them as pieces, it might make a bit more sense. More than the utility of an article of clothing, someone thought it up, and someone put it together. It has a place in a collection, and it has relevancy. The cost isn't so much the production cost, but what it is worth to the buyer.

didn't like Wallace that much, implies that expensive clothing is bought solely for compliments, I don't think he even mentioned if he liked them or not.

he said if he liked it or not with everything. he liked the kobe but didn't agree with the price.

he even brings up that compliments doesn't equal the worth. though they are welcomed.

you should watch it again

"i almost couldn't finish it, I was really happy when i was done...*pic of dog with kobe in bowl*which i guess communicates to you that i do not think that one was worth the price" Wallace.

He liked it though he would not pay the 160 for it.