Oliver peoples NDG glasses

mod

For the record, I got these frames from sunglassavenue and they don't come with any certificate of authenticity (I've never heard of any OP that do). I think that's just some generic thing on the website.

I'm not going to start any argument on whether or not they sell fakes but I will say that the case and packaging is the exact same as legit ones I've seen in person. Also, speaking as someone who worked in sunglass design and has pretty good experience working with different plastic frames if these are fakes they are very well done. The materials are high end (not cheap injection molded plastic) and the inner wire frames have the OP logo embossing which would be pretty pointlessly expensive to try to replicate. I have the STRM-1 colorway as well and the black/grey tortoise shell colorway is also pretty unique and would be hard to replicate from scratch.

Basically, I would not be surprised if that site did sell some fakes (it does seem a bit shady), but with the materials and costs involved in making a fake this good there doesn't seem much point in making them for such a niche model of a mid level line. Maybe for higher level, more expensive lines.

Also, speaking from past experience, if a model has been knocked off you'd likely see it available many more places and at lower prices. It wouldn't be hard at all to make a cheap, but passable knockoff of these - at least for the basic black colorway.

even though the site says "Guaranteed 100% authentic, we do not deal with replicas or counterfeit products." I emailed them before I ended up getting a deal on a pair at NDG simply asking if he could guarantee the frames were authentic and got no reply. If he's selling fakes, he's hoping people don't notice and rest on that. it also says glasses come with an authenticity certificate, which mine coming from NDG didn't even have, so that's weird.

on a positive note, i FINALLY got these back today (lenses took 3 weeks with my insurance, awful). stoked on them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as i was told only NDG and the NY Oliver People's botique got these. I'm sure a OP botique could order them though since they were in their mass catalog. NDG is sold out of these except for the black sunglasses, but they're the same as the regular frames, just come with dark lenses.

Insurance is a bitch. Even though I bought them out of network and I'm getting considerably less than an in-network frame purhcase, they're trying to deny my claim based on the fact my name wasn't on the receipt. You'll probably have fun with that too.

some NdG accounts got these, opening ceremony in LA got em

• 3 weeks later...

I just contacted nom de guerre and oliver peoples regarding iloveglasses, sunglassesavenue and smartbuyglasses websites, here's what OP had to say:

"The websites where you are looking to buy Oliver Peoples are not authorized sites and are selling our product without our consent. Since they are not authorized sellers, I cannot guarantee the authenticity of the product. In addition, if you choose to buy from them, the warranty will be null and void."

I just contacted nom de guerre and oliver peoples regarding iloveglasses, sunglassesavenue and smartbuyglasses websites, here's what OP had to say:

"The websites where you are looking to buy Oliver Peoples are not authorized sites and are selling our product without our consent. Since they are not authorized sellers, I cannot guarantee the authenticity of the product. In addition, if you choose to buy from them, the warranty will be null and void."

This is exactly what any company will say when asked about grey market or even second hand sales of its products. Basically, what fogg said is correct and that is about the end of the authenticity conversation.