supertalk6
breakfasteatre

Thrift store finds

inspired by the styleforum thrift store thread which is huge, but contains mostly ties, suits, dresshoes and cufflinks

post some of the nice finds you have happened upon

today: helmut lang wool vneck, 6.99

122199514.jpg

considering its a large and fits me pretty well, im wondering if its a womens sweater? or does helmut lang make fairly slim cuts?

i've found lots of good stuff at the thriftstores in the detroit area over the past 10+ years...a few pairs of 50's/60's 501's, lots of orange tab bigE, double v's, old denim work shirts and westerns...nothing really designer but that's not what i look for. as i've said before and as most of you in the nyc area know beacons closet gets really good second hand stuff....i see comme des garcon, lvc, fred perry, prada, marc jacobs and all that shit all time there for really cheap..like $10-20. last time i was there i got a bigE western flannel for $12, a 60's roebucks greenline selvage jacket which looks brandnew with really dark indigo for $15 and as i said before they had some 45rpm jeans for $15. good store and they buy at fairly decent prices.

Do you guys feel weird about buying shoes at a thrift store? sometimes I see interesting shit but I get grossed out. Or do you guys have any advice about cleaning them once you get them home?

^ Febreeze, Mr Clean magic eraser and those deoderant balls you put in shoes.

You'll be good to go.

It's not the smell of 2nd hand shoes that worries me. It's more the wearing someone else wear pattern and walking heaps can't be good for your hips/back.

Hasn't stopped me buying them though.

teisco.gif

Quote:

i've found lots of good stuff at the thriftstores in the detroit area over the past 10+ years...a few pairs of 50's/60's 501's, lots of orange tab bigE, double v's, old denim work shirts and westerns...nothing really designer but that's not what i look for. as i've said before and as most of you in the nyc area know beacons closet gets really good second hand stuff....i see comme des garcon, lvc, fred perry, prada, marc jacobs and all that shit all time there for really cheap..like $10-20. last time i was there i got a bigE western flannel for $12, a 60's roebucks greenline selvage jacket which looks brandnew with really dark indigo for $15 and as i said before they had some 45rpm jeans for $15. good store and they buy at fairly decent prices.

--- Original message by partytaco on Dec 18, 2005 06:57 PM

wheres beacons closet?

man... i dont even know where to begin...jean patou tweed blazer for $4, hermes shirt for $3, 70s levis orange tab 505 with deep indigo and talon zipper for $4, pea coat for $5, lots of vintage lacoste, lots of vintage dior(before hedi), hermes scarf for my girl for $8, etc... and thats just the past month or so.

id have to say my favorite is the levis i mentoned above... today is the first day in two weeks that im not wearing them.

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 at 10:41 AM

Edit: I don't even want you to know.

I don't even want to be here anymore.

Edited by RedFoxxworth on Dec 19, 2005 at 12:13 PM

Quote:

man... i dont even know where to begin...jean patou tweed blazer for $4, hermes shirt for $3, 70s levis orange tab 505 with deep indigo and talon zipper for $4, pea coat for $5, lots of vintage lacoste, lots of vintage dior(before hedi), hermes scarf for my girl for $8, etc... and thats just the past month or so.

id have to say my favorite is the levis i mentoned above... today is the first day in two weeks that im not wearing them.

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 05:47 AM

whered you pick all these up at?

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by partytaco on Dec 18, 2005 06:57 PM

wheres beacons closet?

--- Original message by adsurgo on Dec 19, 2005 03:13 AM

Williamsburg. http://www.beaconscloset.com/

right now primarily value village. I dont find much designer stuff, but lots of polo, some old lacoste and other nice gems. Beautiful wrangler chords, brand new red sox, 'red socks' satin jacket, mountain equip coop teal windbreaker, vans authentics, lots of short sleeved button up (albeit polyester) shirts

^ Wow value village had stuff like that?

My V.Village is crap, full of suburban mom-clothes and pretty wack shoes. I saw a Nike Terra Humera but it stank so bad I was put off

Edited by DJ_Flame on Dec 19, 2005 at 09:45 PM

yeah the vans were brand new too. ive seen 2 pairs of penny2s in the OG black and blue colourway, but they were both tiny sizes and not in very good condition. I also bought a new pair of all red with cement and neon accent reebok baseball cleats, just because they looked so awesome :P

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 19, 2005 05:47 AM

whered you pick all these up at?

--- Original message by adsurgo on Dec 19, 2005 06:22 PM

i got these at thrifts around jacksonville... salvation army, hubbard house, and the veitnam vets thrift. since jacksonville is so backwards there is always alot of good stuff.

and those levis are back on my ass today... i love em

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on Dec 20, 2005 at 05:30 AM

^^ Uhh...Baseball? I think you might mean football.

There are a few second hand stores around here (Eugene, OR). The local Buffalo Exchange carries name brand second hand clothing. It's be THE spot for finding designer jeans at a fraction of the price. I just recently picked up a couple of Polo polos for 10.99 each. One red and the other in lime green.

There's also a store called "Eugene Jeans" that has some pretty good vintage Levi's. No Big E's as of yet but lots of orange tab and some GREAT 70's era button down shirts with massive collars. I found a safari jacket with matching pants (similar to the one Johnny Depp wears in "Blow") for a great price.

Ok, with Breakfasttheatre's finds at V.Village, I decided to take a look down there.

and guess what? I found a Christian Dior Monsieur Trenchcoat for 3.99 ! bought it with my coffee money lol.

found some nice rockport topsider type shoes, soles in good shape, leather nicely worn though.

also a striped john smedley sweater. i usually end up buying alot of records from thrift stores too...

i find the key is just finding things in good condition rather than simply finding things.

Edited by alex_844 on Dec 20, 2005 at 08:52 PM

Quote:

Ok, with Breakfasttheatre's finds at V.Village, I decided to take a look down there.

and guess what? I found a Christian Dior Monsieur Trenchcoat for 3.99 ! bought it with my coffee money lol.

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Dec 20, 2005 07:51 PM

i think i remember you being from toronto. which location did you check out?

Quote:

Nah Im located in Winnipeg. Everybody always assumes I'm in Toronto

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Dec 20, 2005 11:34 PM

heh, sorry, i wasnt assuming, i thought you had said yourself you were from toronto. glad to hear about the find!