Dry Denim question

aitsuka

Quote:

Jeans will always stretch when you wear them. They'll also shrink when you wash them.

Did you wear them while still damp? Cuz then they'll stretch out quite a lot.

--- Original message by berent on Nov 30, 2005 02:40 AM

Just theoretically speaking with absolutely no dry jean experience - I think that the more u wash a pair of jeans, the less it's going to shrink/strech out, because the fibers can only expand and contract so many times before it loses elasticity. As far as the second second cold wash, I would think that it would still shrink a little bit, but I would not expect to go back as shruken as the first time you washed it.

Edited by Sauce on Nov 30, 2005 at 02:48 AM

What I learnt at school, is that elastic deformation can occur always. No matter how often the deformation has happened. As long as you stay in the region of elastic deformation the material can always go back to a state is was in before. Only when you come in the regions of plastic deformation, the fibres can't go back to their old situation, because the structure of the molecules has changed drasticly.

Don't really know if this is true for denim, but I guess so, since it's also a fibre material.

Quote: What I learnt at school, is that elastic deformation can occur always. No matter how often the deformation has happened. As long as you stay in the region of elastic deformation the material can always go back to a state is was in before. Only when you come in the regions of plastic deformation, the fibres can't go back to their old situation, because the structure of the molecules has changed drasticly.

lol back in the day!!

I tihnk thats only true for elastic materials like springs where they stretch to a certain amount/ load. I doubt denim is as elastic (i seem to remember 'elasticity' being the measuring unit for that? or i might be completely wrong)